Archives
  • iStock/Thinkstock(PERM, Russia) -- At least 14 children have been hurt in a stabbing incident at a school in the Siberian city of Perm. Russian police said the stabbings began after two boys at the city’s School No. 127 started fighting with knives.According to police, a teacher and other pupils tried to break up the fight, after which the two students began attacking them.Police said they have detained the two alleged attackers. One of them also suffered injuries and has been hospitalized, the TASS state news agency reported.The local health ministry said of the 15 people hurt, 12 had been hospitalized, among them the teacher, who suffered severe injuries. Doctors at the hospital where the victims were being treated told the Russian news agency Interfax that two children were in a serious but stable condition in intensive care after an operation. Seven others were being treated for less severe injuries.Dmitry Antonov, the chief doctor at the hospital, the Perm Territory Children's Clinic, told Interfax that none the children's lives were now in danger.Early accounts of the incident itself were confused, with some media reporting that the students had been wearing masks and suggesting it might have been a premeditated attack. A statement released by the regional branch of Russia's Investigative Committee, which handles serious crimes, however, made no mention of that.Local news sites reported the injured children were in fourth grade, in which students would typically be 9 or 10 years old. Several Russian news agencies quoted an account that the two students had begun fighting in the hallway before bursting into the classroom, where the teacher tried to separate them.Witnesses told the state news agency RIA Novosti that children came running out of the school, some covered in blood and calling for help.Some of the children ran into a local shopping mall, where workers called the police.“They explained, talking over each other, that there had been an attack on them at school,” an unnamed representative of the "Whale" mall told RIA Novosti."The shopping mall’s workers immediately pressed the alarm button and called security and called all the emergency services. The paramedics arrived very quickly, practically in 10 minutes," the representative said.The regional Investigative Committee branch said it has opened a criminal case on charges of attempted murder of two or more people. The committee said it was still investigating the motives behind the stabbings.The newspaper Kommersant reported that one of the boys was a former pupil at the school, now studying at a college in Perm.Russia's Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has ordered Russia's Education Minister Olga Vasilyeva to fly to the city to assist in establishing the reasons for the incident, RIA Novosti reported.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(LESOTHO, Africa) -- A whopping 910-carat diamond was discovered in Southern Africa, one of the biggest gems ever found, the mining company that uncovered it said Monday.The colorless diamond was extracted from the Letseng mine in Lesotho, a small nation completely surrounded by South Africa, and is believed to be the fifth largest diamond to be unearthed, said Clifford Elphick, chief executive of the Gem Diamonds, which runs the mine in partnership with the government of Lesotho.Elphick released a statement describing the gem as an "exceptional top quality diamond." He said the precious stone is rated D color, the top-rated color for diamonds.The largest diamond ever excavated is the Cullinan Diamond, a 3,106.75-carat gem found in Cullinan, South Africa, in 1905. The diamond, which is also known as as the Star of Africa I, was cut and used in the British monarchy's crown jewels.Letseng is the same mine where the 603-carat Lesotho Promise diamond was discovered in 2006, Elphick said. The uncut Lesotho Promise diamond was auctioned off in Belgium that same year for $12.4 million.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(PARIS) -- The baguette is one of France’s most famous symbols alongside the Eiffel Tower.So much so that many French bakers want the crusty, thin loaves to be protected as a world treasure by Unesco, the U.N. cultural organization. And they have gained the support of French President Emmanuel Macron, a likely boost for bakers in their campaign to join the list of Unesco Intangible Cultural Heritage."The baguette is envied in the entire world,” Macron told French radio Europe 1 Friday. “I know our bakers; they saw that the Neapolitans managed to have pizza as part of world heritage, so they said, 'Why not the baguette?' And they're right.”The art of the Neapolitan pizza maker joined the largely symbolic Unesco list last month.The list “is composed of intangible heritage elements that concerned communities and States Parties consider require urgent measures to keep them alive,” according to the Unesco website. “Inscriptions on this List help to mobilize international cooperation and assistance for stakeholders to undertake appropriate safeguarding measures.“Dominique Anract, the president of the French National Confederation of Baking and Pastry, told ABC News, “We need to reassert the value of the baguette all around the world. French people need to realize the symbolic importance of this product.”Anract said he hopes “the bid to the U.N. agency will help protect the quality of traditional baguette against the increasing weight of big supermarkets in the sale of the typically French bread. We need to react,“ he added.There are about 32,000 bakeries across France, down from 36,500 in 1990, according to the baking confederation.The baguette is "the daily life of the French, in the morning, at midday and in the evening. It's not a matter of beliefs; everyone has it," Macron told Europe 1.It will certainly take some time before the French baguette joins Belgium beer and Neapolitan pizza-making on the Unesco list of Intangible Cultural Heritage. Naples’s launched its bid in 2009 before making the list in 2017, almost a decade later.“It will be a long process,” baking confederation president Anract conceded, “but this is a very important issue for bakers, French people and our country’s reputation.” Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABCNews.com(PYEONGCHANG, South Korea) -- Officials from North and South Korea will meet this week to discuss again North Korea's participation in the Winter Olympics amid cooling tensions between the two, but the North warned it could choose to cut off its cooperation at any time.North Korea Monday proposed the working-level talks for Wednesday during a meeting between the two sides, according to the South Korean Unification Ministry, which said it accepted the proposal.Officials from the two Koreas met Monday to iron out details about the North’s plan to send a delegation to the South during next month’s Winter Olympic in Pyeongchang, South Korea.During Monday’s talks, a follow-up to a breakthrough meeting with high-level officials from both sides last week, North Korea said it would send three delegates to attend Wednesday’s meeting.The two sides met today on the southern side of Panmunjom, a demilitarized zone known as the truce village. It was the second such meeting in less than seven days.But the relationship between the two Koreas is still a complicated one, which North Korea proved Sunday when it indirectly threatened to pull out of the Olympics to protest what it called South Korea's "sordid acts of chilling" reconciliation efforts, North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said."They should know that train and bus carrying our delegation to the Olympics are still in Pyongyang," Korean Central News Agency said. "The South Korean authorities had better ponder over what unfavorable results may be entailed by their impolite behavior."The Korean Central News Agency also criticized South Korean president Moon Jae-in for suggesting that President Donald Trump deserved credit for bringing the two sides together.“The South Korean leader shouldn’t be caught up in illusions,” the media agency said, referring to Moon's comments on Trump. “We will, as ever, strive to improve the North-South ties but will never remain an onlooker to sordid acts of chilling the efforts.” Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABCNews.com(ONTARIO, Canada) -- One Canadian man has gone back to the basics. And has even built himself a log cabin out in the wilderness -- alone!Nature lover Shawn James owns 20 acres outside of Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada. After cutting down some 100 trees, he built a cozy log cabin all by himself.A now-viral time-lapse video captured the 47-year-old Barrie, Ontario, man cutting, hammering and building his 10-foot by 20-foot cabin.James told ABC News he initially went off the grid in 1991. But after getting a job and having children, he decided to go into the contracting business. Still, during the recession in 2008, James said he "lost everything. But it was a learning experience, you know? I said, 'Let’s go back to basics.'"Last March, James bought 20 acres of land and decided to grow his own food along with herd a small cattle and take care of some chickens. The father of two teenage girls said it's helped him build confidence."Building your own home and acquiring food from the ground and land ... it gives you the confidence needed to tackle anything in life," he said.James added, "It’s really about what your dream is, and getting off your butt and going out there and doing it. Stop dreaming about it."
    Read more...