• iStock/Thinkstock(DALLAS) -- An angry mother said Tuesday that she was owed an apology from the U.S. Transportation Security Administration after she said her 13-year-old son was patted down and held for what she said was more than an hour as her family prepared to board a flight in Texas.On Sunday, in a Facebook post, Jennifer Williamson described the "horrifying" experience at the Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport and included a video capturing a little more than two minutes of the incident. The video has gone viral with more than 92,000 shares so far."We have been through hell this morning," Williamson said. "They detained Aaron for well over an hour at DFW. (And deliberately kept us from our flight... we are now on an alternate) We were treated like dogs because I requested they attempt to screen him in other ways per TSA rules. He has SPD and I didn't want my child given a pat down like this. Let me make something else crystal clear. He set off NO alarms. He physically did not alarm at all during screening, he passed through the detector just fine. ... I am livid.”She added: "I wish I had taped the entire interchange. ... Somehow these power-tripping TSA agents who are traumatizing children and doing whatever they feel like without any cause, need to be reined in.”In the post, Williamson said Aaron has sensory processing disorder and hours after the incident was still saying, "I don't know what I did. What did I do?"On Tuesday, Aaron and his mother spoke to ABC News about the incident."I have always been like really sensitive to people touching me and whenever he touched me, I got, started having hives a little bit and I had that for at least half of the plane ride," he said.Williamson said that Aaron had not removed his laptop from his backpack and was not aware that he had to remove it, setting off an alarm. Williamson said, however, that a TSA agent had removed the laptop, ran it through a scanner and cleared it. She maintained Tuesday that the entire situation had not been handled appropriately."He [Aaron] hadn't done anything wrong. He had done everything they had told him. ... We've flown frequently before and never had a problem," she said Tuesday, adding that she'd filed a complaint on the TSA and written to the agency on Twitter.Williamson said she had not heard back yet.In a statement Monday, the TSA said family members were at the checkpoint for about 45 minutes."TSA allows for a pat-down of a teenage passenger, and in this case, all approved procedures were followed to resolve an alarm of a passenger's laptop," according to the statement. "The video shows a male TSA officer explaining the procedure to the passenger, who fully cooperates. Afterward, the TSA officer was instructed by his supervisor, who was observing, to complete the final step of the screening process. In total, the pat-down took approximately two minutes, and was observed by the mother and two police officers who were called to mitigate the concerns of the mother. TSA officers were with the teenager for approximately 35 minutes, which included the time it took to discuss screening procedures with the mother and to screen three carry-on items that required further inspection."
    Read more...
  • Frederick County Sheriff's Office (THURMONT, Md.) -- A Maryland teen accused of plotting a school shooting mentioned the Columbine High School massacre and the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in a diary discovered by investigators, according to authorities.On March 23, the father of the suspect, Nichole Cevario, 18, told officials at Catoctin High School in Thurmont, Maryland, about a "potential threat of violence toward the school," the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office said, and his daughter "was immediately removed from the classroom and turned over to investigators."Authorities said investigators then searched Cevario's home, where they found a diary that indicated she planned to carry out a mass shooting at her high school less than two weeks later -- on April 5. The high school senior's diary also mentioned the 1999 Columbine, Colorado, high school shooting and the 2012 Newton, Connecticut, elementary school shooting, Frederick County Sheriff Charles Jenkins told ABC News.Jenkins added of the suspect's parents, "I can’t tell you how thankful I am that they stepped forward, offered this information to school administrators and contacted us. Without their help with this thing, we would have been dealing with an aftermath, rather than averting.As a parent himself, Jenkins said that "it would be extremely hard to make that decision," but added of Cevario's parents, "they most likely saved their daughter’s life as well as other lives within the student body."An ABC News investigation found that in the last 17 years there have been at least 79 thwarted school massacre plots, and in more than half of them, the would-be attackers mentioned Columbine.But female shooters are rare. In a study by the FBI of 160 active shooter incidents between 2000 in 2013, only six involved a female shooter.Officials said Cevario's journal showed she had been plotting the alleged attack "for some time and had been compiling intelligence on behavior activities of the school, noting emergency procedures associated with drills conducted by school staff and obtaining intelligence on the School Resource Deputy," the sheriff’s office said. The journal had a timeline and her expectations for each stage, the sheriff's office said.Authorities searching Cevario's home also found a shotgun with ammunition and "bomb-making materials to include pipes with end caps, shrapnel, fireworks, magnesium tape, and fuse material," the sheriff’s office said."I have no doubt based on what we saw in her diary, the evidence we found, the information that we have taken throughout the investigation, that this was going to occur ... April 5," Jenkins said.When Cevario was removed from the school on March 23 it appeared that she posed a threat to herself and she was taken to the hospital, where she remains as of Tuesday, the sheriff's office said. The sheriff's office said she is struggling with mental health issues.According to the diary, Cevario planned to die in the attack, officials said.Investigators secured an arrest warrant for possession of explosive material with intent to create a destructive device and possession of incendiary material with the intent to create a destructive device, the sheriff's office said. The arrest warrant will be served when Cevario is released from the hospital, the sheriff's office said.The sheriff's office did not know whether Cevario had retained a lawyer.Jenkins said all the items Cevario bought were legal. Authorities said no one else was involved or knew of the alleged plot.There was never a weapon or explosive device on school property, authorities said, and the materials were never combined into an explosive device.In a video Monday on the school district's YouTube page, Dr. Terry Alban, superintendent of Frederick County Public Schools, thanked the "courageous" parents for stepping forward."Whenever you hear or see anything that raises concern, you need to trust us and come to us so that we can do th
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(MIAMI) — Two undercover Miami police officers were rushed to the hospital late Monday night after being ambushed outside an apartment complex where they were conducting surveillance.The wounded officers were rushed to the hospital in the bed of a pickup truck and were able to limp inside with the help of their colleagues, ABC affiliate WPLG reported.The officers, who officials said were in stable condition after being treated at Jackson Memorial Hospital, were working as part of a multi-agency operation on gang activity."Individuals like this that have the audacity to ambush a vehicle unprovoked and open fire like that, are individuals in this community that are causing havoc and terrorizing this community day in and day out," Maj. Hector Llevat said. "These are the officers that were out here to put a stop to that."Police said the suspected assailants remain at large and described them as being between 17 to 18 years old and wearing a dark colored hooded sweatshirts at the time of the incident."We do whatever we have to do to save our officers," said Miami-Dade police director Juan Perez. "We got lucky tonight that the officers will survive. It's not going to deter us. In fact, what this does is the opposite." Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(NEW YORK) -- The family of award-winning Sharkwater filmmaker and marine biologist, Rob Stewart, has filed a lawsuit claiming damages and blaming Stewart's dive instructor and boat crew for his death.Stewart went missing off the coast of the Florida Keys in January. His body was recovered after a three-day search by the Coast Guard.Now, two months after Stewart's death, the Canadian filmmaker's grieving parents, Brian and Sandy Stewart, sat down with ABC News, along with their attorney Michael Haggard, to discuss the tragic incident."The is no way anyone should ever die the way Rob died and it's the responsibility of the people involved that caused it," said Brian Stewart.
    Read more...
  • Metropolitan Police(LONDON) — The wife of the 52-year-old man who committed a deadly terror attack in London last week condemned her husband's actions, saying she is "saddened and shocked.""I express my condolences to the families of the victims that have died, and wish a speedy recovery to all the injured," said Rohey Hydara, the wife of Khalid Masood, who killed four people and injured dozens in a vehicle and knife attack that took place outside the Houses of Parliament last Wednesday."I would like to request privacy for our family, especially the children, at this difficult time," she added in a statement released through London police.Masood killed three people and injured at least 28 others with a car on Westminster Bridge. He was then shot and killed by police after fatally stabbing a police officer.Masood, a U.K. native with a number of prior criminal convictions, is believed to have acted alone. Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(GREENEVILLE, Tenn) — A Tennessee couple was arrested last week after they attempted to sell their 5-month-old infant online.John David Cain, 26, and Deanna Lynn Greer, 37, were charged with aggravated child abuse and aggravated child neglect or endangerment after they posted an ad on Craigslist and offered to sell the baby for $3,000, ABC News affiliate reported WATE Saturday, citing the Greene County Sheriff’s Office.The couple was caught in a sting operation that ended on Friday when the two exchanged the baby with state agents for the cash.Cain and Greer were arrested immediately and taken into custody at the Greene County Jail in Greeneville, Tennessee, according to the report.They are both being held on a $150,000 bond and scheduled to appear in court during the first week of April.The baby is currently in state custody. It was not immediately clear if the couple had legal representation.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...