• iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The U.S. Coast Guard has nearly doubled its initial estimate of the amount of oil that seeped from a crack in a pipeline off the coast of Louisiana.The leak was first announced on Oct. 13 from a damaged pipeline operated by LLOG Exploration some 40 miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana. The privately-owned company originally reported between 333,900 to 392,700 gallons of oil were discharged by the broken line, located nearly 5,000 feet beneath the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, according to a press release from the Coast Guard.The Coast Guard has said it is coordinating with the company as well as the federal Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to locate and respond to any oil that floats to the surface. With overhead flights and underwater vehicle inspections conducted multiple times a day, no recoverable oil has been detected thus far.Though the pipeline has been secured, the company on Wednesday reported a revised estimated volume of "unaccounted-for oil" to the Coast Guard and the federal Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement, indicating as much as 672,000 gallons of oil may have been released."While the reported discharge amount is very significant, we are confident in the calculations completed by the LLOG and NOAA scientists,” said Cmdr. Heather Mattern from U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Unit in Morgan City, Louisiana. “Additionally, the lack of any recoverable oil identified by over flights and subsea inspections conducted throughout the past week supports this explanation.”According to a press release from the Coast Guard, trajectory models calculated by LLOG Exploration and NOAA indicate that any leaked oil will drift in a southwesterly direction and is not expected to impact the shoreline. The calculations also indicate that the discovery of any recoverable oil is unlikely due to the high pressure and depth at which it was discharged.The Coast Guard said Friday that so far the presence of oil has not been detected in water samples taken along the trajectory path at various depths.The investigation into the cause of the incident is ongoing.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) --  More than 27 years ago, a woman died after she was shot at her front door by someone dressed as a clown, and a former costume store employee says there is a “strong possibility” that the woman’s accused murderer bought the outfit at her shop.On the morning of May 26, 1990, Marlene Warren was at her home in Wellington, Florida, with her 22-year-old son, Joseph Ahrens, and several of his friends.Ahrens and his friends told police they saw a white car pull into the driveway and that a person in a clown costume came to the front door with flowers and balloons.Warren answered the door, and as the clown offered the items to her, witnesses told police they heard a gunshot. Warren had been shot in the face. She ultimately died from her injuries.The clown then “calmly” walked back to the car and drove away, police say.Detectives investigating the murder spoke to Deborah Offord and Barbara Castricone, who used to work at a costume shop in town."I get goosebumps just talking about it," Castricone told ABC News' "20/20."They recall that a day or two before the murder, a last-minute customer arrived after 6 p.m., when the door to the store was locked.“I need to buy a costume,” the customer said, according to Offord, who then replied, "Can you come back tomorrow, we're closed.""No, I really need this tonight. I need to get a costume tonight,” Offord remembered the customer saying.Offord said the customer also insisted that the costume had to be circus wear.“A Rubie’s clown costume, an Afro clown wig, Bob Kelly clown makeup and a sponge nose,” said Offord.Shortly after the shooting, a detective called and started asking questions about the sale.Castricone said she was shocked when a detective told her why they were asking about the mysterious customer.“I said, ‘Could I ask please what this is in reference to?’ He said, ‘Well, you're probably going to read about it all over the papers tomorrow morning, but a woman was shot at her front door by a person dressed in a clown costume bearing flowers and balloons, and [the clown] shot her in the face.’ And my heart dropped,” Castricone said.Offord offered cops a description of the female customer.“Rather tall, I’d say probably around 5’8, brown eyes, long chocolate hair, thick head of hair, work boots,” said Offord. “I don’t know why I remember that. I do, and jeans, and a men’s work shirt, a button down collar.”Castricone said the customer paid for the sale in cash, using $20 bills. Her store was only one of a handful in the area that sold costumes at the time.The investigation into who murdered Warren eventually went cold, until 2014.As a result of the ensuing investigation, police found and arrested Sheila Keen Warren on Sept. 27, 2017, in Virginia. Twelve years after Marlene Warren’s death, Sheila Keen had married Marlene Warren’s husband, Michael Warren.Sheila Keen Warren was charged with first-degree murder, and prosecutors say they are seeking the death penalty.Her attorney, Richard Lubin, said Warren "vehemently denies" killing Marlene Warren and will plead not guilty, The Associated Press reported.Lubin declined to comment to ABC News.Michael Warren recently told ABC News, “She’s is falsely accused…[and] this is very serious and very unfair.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(COCOA, Fla.) -- After Florida police received several calls that a baby alligator was in a pond behind a local high school, one officer knew just what to do.Officer Xzevies Baez responded to Cocoa High School in Florida on Oct. 11. He was able to capture the little gator within minutes with his bare hands, the Cocoa Police Department told ABC News.The alligator, which was double the size of Office Baez's forearm, was taken from a pond behind the high school to a larger, safer pond, police said.It's only Baez's fifth month on the job.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(GAINESVILLE, Fla.) -- Two arrests were made Thursday afternoon on the University of Florida campus in Gainesville, where self-described white nationalist Richard Spencer spoke at an event.Security measures were in place throughout Gainesville. The added precautions stem partly from Gov. Rick Scott’s decision on Wednesday to declare a state of emergency before the event.Leading up to the start of the event, audience members at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts began to boo before Spencer even took the stage. Once he did, attendees began chanting phrases like "Go home, Spencer!" and "Say it loud, say it clear, Nazis are not welcome here!"  Spencer berated the audience for believing in free speech but not letting him speak."What are you trying to achieve then?" Spencer asked the crowd. "You all have an amazing opportunity to be a part of the most important free speech event perhaps in our lifetime. This is when the rubber hits the road with the question of the First Amendment."While demonstrations remained peaceful, police continued to circulate among protesters and reporters in the street near the auditorium after the event began.  One flare-up in the crowd occurred when a man wearing a shirt with Nazi swastikas entered the anti-Spencer protest area. The man was in the area for work and wanted to hear Spencer speak, he said.As the man walked through the crowd, he was quickly surrounded by protesters and chanting. He also appeared to have been punched in the mouth and was seen with blood on his teeth and running down his mouth.  The protesters surrounded the man as he walked off campus. At first, police were not able to keep the crowd away from him and had to fall back several times. Police in riot gear and others with batons eventually formed a line to stop the crowd and escorted the man away.The Alachua County Sheriff said two people were arrested. Sean Brijmohan, 28, was charged with possession of a firearm on school property. The office said in a tweet that he had brought a gun onto the campus after being hired by a media organization as security. David Notte, 34, was charged with resisting an officer without violence.Five people had minor injuries and were immediately treated by fire rescue teams, authorities said. The Gainesville Police Department is investigating reports that an "'average'-looking white male" fired a single shot into a group of people in the parking lot of a CVS off campus. No one was hit by the gunfire, and it is unclear if the incident is related to the protests against Spencer's speech, police said. "Despite our worst fears of violence, the University of Florida and the Gainesville community showed the world that love wins," said University of Florida President Kent Fuchs. "We’re exceptionally grateful to our law enforcement partners and Governor Scott for providing the resources necessary to ensure the safety of our campus and community." Spencer is the president of a group called the National Policy Institute, which asked to organize an event at the university, a public school. The university originally denied his request in September because of safety concerns. The heightened concern about the event is due to violence surrounding a rally featuring him in Charlottesville, Virginia, in August. One person was killed after a driver plowed his car into a crowd of counterprotesters, and at least 19 others were injured.  But as a state-run entity prohibited from blocking free expression, the school ultimately honored the request, according to its website.The Gainesville Police Department posted a message on its Facebook page Wednesday, writing, "For months, GPD has been preparing a comprehensive safety and security plan for this week."  "We have been very tight-lipped about our security measures for good reason ... and it's to keep you safe," the statement reads."We won't get in to exact numbers ... but you can rest assured that there are plen
    Read more...
  • WSOC(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) -- More than a dozen Charlotte-area students were forced to flee their school bus when the engine exploded and burst into flames on Thursday.Harrowing video shot minutes after the students escaped shows the entire front half of the bus completely engulfed in flames. After photos show little else but a charred frame of a bus.  All 16 students onboard and the driver of the bus managed to escape uninjured.The students from South Mecklenburg High School in Charlotte, North Carolina were heading home from school Thursday afternoon when they began to hear clicking sounds in the engine, they told ABC affiliate WSOC. The bus broke down and when the driver smelled smoke, everybody got off."That's when the front just exploded," student Timoni Rushing told WSOC.The school district said it will investigate the cause of the accident, though the vehicle was inspected just two weeks ago, according to WSOC."We are all grateful that every student and the driver are safe," superintendent Clayton Wilcox told WSOC in a statement. "The district trains bus drivers and CMS staff to respond in emergency situations and the district is proud of the quick action of this driver and also thankful for the swift cooperation of students on board. The district holds the safety of all our kids and staff as top priority and will conduct a thorough review to ensure the continued safety of our CMS students and staff."
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(PEMBROKE PINES, FLa.) --  Travis Wilson was simply signing up for housing when the homeless veteran heard a boom nearby and rushed to the aid of a bloodied victim in a serious car accident.Wilson, who told ABC affiliate WPLG he is a former Navy corpsman, was first on the scene at the accident in Pembroke Pines, Florida, in harrowing video provided to the station. In the video, you see Wilson leaning into the crushed passenger side window of one of the vehicles and assisting the driver with blood splattered across the front seat."We get around the corner and I see what's going on and speed up, and then, I just turn it on and go sprinting to the vehicle," Wilson told WPLG.Wilson stabilized the driver's neck and waited until paramedics arrived on the scene."You can't leave the scene," Wilson said. "I can't leave the scene -- it doesn't matter if the vehicle catches on fire. It doesn't matter. I'm there with him. If we're gonna die, we're gonna die together."Wilson was interviewing with the nonprofit Operation Sacred Trust when the accident occurred in the street nearby. Operation Sacred Trust assists homeless and low-income veterans find a place to live in the Miami area.Wilson, who has been arrested multiple times, most seriously for possession of cocaine and theft, according to WPLG, told the station he had fallen on hard times after leaving the military.Pembroke Pines police told WPLG the driver of the white car who was assisted by Wilson was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. The driver of the car that hit the white sedan, who WPLG reports was an off-duty officer with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, sustained only minor injuries.
    Read more...