• iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A 2-year-old child is believed to be among the missing after a series of deadly tornadoes wreaked havoc in parts of the South this weekend, according to authorities.More than a dozen people died over the weekend from the devastating twisters and many more lost homes in the destruction."We have people who have no home, no food, no warmth, and no hope," Chris Cohilas, a commissioner in Dougherty County in south Georgia, told the press Monday."It is total devastation and destruction," said Ron Rowe, emergency medical services director in the city of Albany in Dougherty County. "We have multiple neighborhoods that have totally been 'removed,' if I can use that word."Cohilas said authorities began searching for a 2-year-old child after a mother reported the youngster missing.The mother "reported her 2-year-old child had been swept away during the tornado," he said.The tornadoes wreaked havoc from early Saturday through Sunday in areas from Mississippi to the Florida Panhandle, parts of Alabama and south Georgia.He added that an active search-and-rescue effort was underway in the county, led by state and local law enforcement, but that resources were limited, and that the country needed help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency."We've been begging for FEMA's help," Cohilas said. "To get caught up in bureaucratic red tape during this time of human suffering is disgraceful. I would ask President Trump take significant steps to remove the bureaucratic red tape and get us some people on the damn ground."The president expressed condolences to the people affected by the tornadoes on Sunday."I want to start off by telling you I just spoke with Gov. Nathan Deal of Georgia, great state, great people," Trump said Sunday from the White House. "Florida affected, Alabama affected by the tornadoes, and just expressed our sincere condolences for the lives taken."Trump added that the tornadoes "were vicious and powerful and strong.""So we'll be helping out the state of Georgia," Trump added.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(HOUSTON) -- Doctors treating former President George H.W. Bush and his wife at a Houston hospital said on Monday the former president is out of the ICU, and the former first lady has been discharged.George Bush, 92, was admitted to Houston Methodist Hospital on Jan. 14 after exhibiting shortness of breath, and has been treated for pneumonia in the intensive care unit during his stay.Barbara Bush, 91, entered the same hospital Wednesday with bronchitis.Drs. Amy Mynderse and Clint Doerr, who have been treating the Bushes, answered reporters’ questions about their medical treatment Monday morning.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(SAN ANTONIO) -- Jonathan Murphy, 42, was identified as the Good Samaritan who was shot and killed after intervening during a shooting at a mall in San Antonio, Texas, according to the Bexar County Medical Examiner's office.Murphy was the only person killed from the Sunday afternoon incident.The shooting at the Rolling Oaks Mall began as an attempted robbery by two suspects at the mall's Kay Jewelers Store, the San Antonio Police said.Murphy tried to intervene and was shot and killed by one of the suspects, police said.Another citizen then intervened and shot the suspect who shot Murphy, police said.The second suspect ran through mall, shooting additional victims, police said.Two other people were shot and suffered non-life-threatening wounds, police said.The injured suspect, whose name was not released by the police, was hospitalized in critical condition, police said.The second suspect, identified by police as 34-year-old Jason Matthew Prieto, who police said fled after the shootings, was later caught and taken into custody.Both suspects are facing one capital murder charge and two counts of aggravated robbery, police said.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- One victim of an Ohio divorce attorney who was convicted in 2014 of hypnotizing and then molesting his clients spoke out in an interview with ABC News' Good Morning America that aired Monday."He ruined a lot of peoples' lives," the woman, who wished to be identified only by her first name, Melissia, said. "He ruined a lot of self-worth that some of us had. It’s gone."Melissia's interview comes as authorities released under-cover video that captures Michael Fine, 59, as he attempts to hypnotize and take advantage of another female client.Fine was arrested after local authorities put a hidden camera on an accessory of one of his clients as part of a sting operation, after the client had told police that her clothing was often disheveled after her appointments with Fine, and she was suffering memory loss. In the video, the attorney can be seen putting a woman into a trance without her consent by saying it is just a "breathing exercise.""Your entire body is a vessel of pleasure and arousal and excitement and the better it feels the tighter you'll grip my hand," Fine says in the footage, and then proceeds to ask the client "when was the last time you made love?"When his victim snaps out of her trance, Fine acts as if nothing ever happened, saying "OK, so we have some papers to go over," at which point police burst into the room and arrested Fine. He is now serving a 12-year prison sentence for hypnotizing six female clients, after he pleaded guilty to five counts of kidnapping and one count of attempted kidnapping. Fine also faces six civil lawsuits."Seeing that video made me so so sick. It made me so angry, and panicky-feeling too," Melissia said. "I couldn't sleep after I saw the video."Melissia said she first hired Fine as an attorney in April 2014, and she said that she paid him $17,000.Melissia added that Fine would say he wanted to help her "relax.""He didn't call it hypnosis," Melissia said. "He called it mindfulness."Melissia added that the incident has changed her life in many ways."I will not be in a room with anybody by myself," Melissia said. "No shutting doors, I don't care who you are."Attorney Laura Mills, who is representing Melissia in her civil court case against Fine, told GMA that they are suing him "so that he is held accountable.""Clearly now he's in jail, but the actions he committed against Melissia need to be pursued in a civil suit so he can be accountable for expenses," Mills said.Mills added however, that their "most important message" is "building awareness.""What women need to understand is this can't happen," Mills said. "Women who experience that should not be embarrassed or ashamed about coming forward and talking to a counselor."
    Read more...
  • Twitter/@RyanMooreMS(ATLANTA) — At least 19 people have died over the last 48 hours due to tornadoes, as a violent system of storms made its way across the South from Mississippi to the Florida Panhandle and parts of Alabama and Georgia.At least 15 people died and around two dozen were injured in Georgia from tornadoes early Sunday morning, following four tornado-related deaths that occurred in Mississippi on Saturday morning.According to the Georgia Emergency Management Agency, four people died in Dougherty County near Albany, seven in Cook County near Adel, and two people died in both Berrien and Brooks counties.After storms ripped through the region overnight, more tornado watches were issued Sunday for the Panhandle of Florida and southern Alabama, and the Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency has issued a state of emergency for the seven south central Georgia counties impacted by the storm."The National Weather Service predicts a third wave of severe weather today, which may reach as far north as metro Atlanta. I urge all Georgians to exercise caution and vigilance in order to remain safe and prevent further loss of life or injuries," Gov. Nathan Deal said in a statement.President Trump expressed condolences to the people of Georgia affected by the tornadoes to the press Sunday from the White House."I want to start off by telling you I just spoke with Governor Nathan Deal of Georgia, great state, great people," Trump said. "Florida affected, Alabama affected by the tornadoes, and just expressed our sincere condolences for the lives taken."Trump added that the tornadoes "were vicious and powerful and strong," and said that people suffered as a result of them."So we'll be helping out the state of Georgia," Trump added.Images on social media showed telephone poles cracked in half, and what looked like entire streets torn apart by the storms that have churned through the South this weekend.Michael Miller, coroner in Brooks County, Georgia, told ABC News that two deaths were confirmed in his county with five more fatalities in Cook County and four more in nearby Berrien County.At least 23 other people in the state are injured.In the area of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, where at least four people died, a large tornado leveled homes and buildings, trapping residents in their homes, authorities said.Further north in Choctaw County, Mississippi, on Saturday at least four people were injured and at least 20 homes damaged from a possible tornado, according to the National Weather Service. Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(WALTON COUNTY, Fla.) — A Rhode Island activist who was on a mission to walk across the country barefoot was struck and killed by an SUV while walking on a Florida highway on Saturday afternoon.Mark Baumer was walking on the shoulder of Highway 90 in Walton County, Fla. when the driver of the SUV veered off the road and hit him, ABC News affiliate WEAR reported on Sunday. He was pronounced dead at the scene.The driver has been identified as Sonja Siglar of Westville, Fla. The Florida Highway Patrol ruled out alcohol as a factor and said that charges are pending, according to WEAR.Baumer said he was hiking across the country to “save earth” and to raise funding for the FANG Collective, a non-profit organization that protests the natural gas industry.FANG confirmed Baumer’s death in a Facebook post and asked the public to honor his memory by looking back at the blog posts and poems he produced during his barefoot trek across the U.S.“We are shocked and devastated to learn about the passing of our friend Mark Baumer,” the organization said in a statement on Sunday. “We will work to commemorate and honor Mark's life in the best way that we can.”According to his website, Barefoot Across America, Baumer began the journey in October of last year, when he vowed to chronicle the trip in daily video and blog posts.“I began the journey on Oct. 13, 2016. I don’t know when it will end,” Baumer said on his website, urging visitors to donate to his YouCaring campaign.As of Monday, the “Crossing America Barefoot to Save Earth from Climate Change” campaign had raised more than $14,000, exceeding its goal by more than $4,000.“Every day corporations continue to profit from earth's destruction. I decided cross America barefoot to see if I could save Earth," the campaign said in its mission statement. "I know this is a lofty goal, but I hope through my walk I can raise awareness about climate change."The campaign posted its last update on Jan. 16, when it announced that it was “three-quarters of the way to $10,000.” At least 50 donations had been made since Sunday, bringing the total number of supporters to about 400.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...