Archives
  • ABCNews.com(MINNEAPOLIS) -- United States Customs and Border Protection is not the apple of Crystal Tadlock's eye.Tadlock told Fox affiliate KDVR she was on a Delta flight back from Paris headed to Minneapolis when flight attendants passed out free apples in plastic bags. She said she took one despite not being hungry, and instead saved it for later on her connecting flight to Denver."I wasn't hungry at the time so I jammed it in my carry-on," Tadlock told KDVR in Denver, which she lives just outside of.Tadlock said she was going through Customs when she said her bag was randomly searched by an agent who found the apple inside the plastic bag it was originally handed out in.According to Tadlock, the agent asked if her trip to France was expensive, and she replied yes."It's about to get a whole lot more expensive after I charge you $500," the agent then allegedly said to Tadlock, she told KDVR.She said she was then fined $500 and lost her global entry status.In a statement to ABC News, Delta said, "We encourage our customers to follow U.S. Customs and Border Protection protocols."Tadlock told KDVR that she feels that Delta should have warned customers not to take the apples off the plane or not hand them out at all."I understand the laws and I understand the Department of Agriculture doesn't want certain insects in the U.S. and such, but once again the apple is from Delta," Tadlock said.In a statement to ABC News, CBP said "Privacy policy prohibits CBP from discussing the details of any individuals specific inspection, however all agriculture items must be declared. Prohibited items that are not declared by a passenger are confiscated and disposed of by CBP. More importantly, civil penalties may be assessed for failure to declare prohibited agricultural products and may range up to $1,000 per first-time offense for noncommercial quantities. If the items are determined to be for commercial use, violations will be assessed at a much higher rate."According to the CBP website, travelers must declare fruits, vegetables, plants and animal products.Tadlock told KDVR that she plans to fight the fine in court."It’s really unfortunate someone has to go through that and be treated like a criminal over a piece of fruit," Tadlock said.
    Read more...
  • ABCNews.com(MIAMI) -- An unruly passenger was shot with a stun gun, arrested and forcibly removed from a flight Sunday evening in an incident fellow passengers caught on video.The Chicago-bound American Airlines plane sat at the gate at Miami International Airport Sunday for over an hour due to the disturbance, according to an airline statement.Video posted on Twitter taken by a fellow flyer shows a male passenger getting held down and Tasered several times by three Miami-Dade police officers. The male passenger asks why he is getting removed from the plane, and an officer responds with, “You just assaulted a lady.”According to an American Airlines statement obtained by ABC News, the incident started with a disagreement between two passengers. The instigating passenger was asked by the crew to deplane but refused. Police officers were called onto the plane.“Once law enforcement was on the aircraft, the passenger then became combative with the officers from the Miami-Dade Police Department. The same passenger was subsequently arrested by law enforcement,” reads a statement from the airline.All other passengers remained on the plane.The flight departed an hour later than scheduled, and successfully reached its destination at Chicago’s O’Hare airport early Monday morning.
    Read more...
  • ABCNews.com(SYRACUSE, N.Y.) -- Syracuse University removed more than a dozen Theta Tau fraternity members from classes on Sunday after video emerged showing members participating in racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic skits, according to to school officials.The university said 18 students had been "removed from academic participation" in connection with the video, which it said showed Theta Tau members acting in an "extremely racist" and "homophobic" manner.One of the videos -- made public by the school's independent newspaper, The Daily Orange, last week -- showed members of the engineering fraternity using racist, ethnic and sexist slurs while pretending to perform sexual acts on each other. The paper published a second video over the weekend which it said showed people in Theta Tau’s house miming the sexual assault of a person with disabilities.The students removed were all "present at the sponsored event" where the video was filmed, the central New York school's chief of the Department of Public Safety, Bobby Maldonado, said in a statement Sunday."Out of an abundance of caution and ongoing concern for our campus community, Provost Michele Wheatly and Dean of Students Rob Hradsky notified the 18 students of their removal from academic participation, effective immediately," Maldonado said. "Alternative class and study arrangements will be made for these students as the judicial process moves forward."He said other students could be implicated as the investigation continues, according to the statement.The university permanently expelled the fraternity chapter on Saturday, warning that it could take disciplinary actions against the individual students involved at a later time."Our investigation is ongoing and others may be implicated in the coming days," Maldonado said Sunday. "We have not and will not release the videos that are a part of our investigation, he added, noting that his office refused to be “party to the distribution of this hateful and hurtful content."Portions of the video, originally posted to a secret Facebook group called "Tau of Theta Tau," were still available on The Daily Orange's website as of early Monday.The fraternity chapter apologized on Friday, saying the activity depicted in video was meant to be "satirical.""Each semester our new members are given the opportunity to write and act out a skit, in order to roast the active brothers. This event was never intended to be centered around racism or hate. This year, one of these brothers is a conservative Republican, and the new members roasted him by playing the part of a racist conservative character," the university's Theta Tau chapter said in a statement. "It was a satirical sketch of an uneducated, racist, homophobic, misogynist, sexist, ableist and intolerant person."The young man playing the part of this character nor the young man being roasted do not hold any of the horrible views espoused as a part of that sketch," it added.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Jessica Drake, an adult-film star who claims she refused a $10,000 offer to have sex with Donald Trump after meeting him at a Lake Tahoe golf event in 2006, says Stormy Daniels told her Daniels was threatened by someone to stay silent about Daniels' alleged sexual tryst with Trump.Daniels and her attorney recently released a sketch based on Daniels' recollection of the man they say threatened her in a parking lot in 2011 after she told her story of a 2006 tryst with Trump at a celebrity golf tournament to a tabloid magazine.In an interview airing on Good Morning America on Monday, Drake told ABC News that Daniels, her friend and fellow porn star, is telling the truth."She actually told me about the threat twice,” Drake said. “So the first time she told me about the threat was shortly after it happened. She relayed the experience to me. I said something like, 'I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine. What are you going to do?'"Daniels did not report the alleged threat to authorities.Drake says that Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford, reminded her of the story when Drake came forward with her own allegations of sexual misconduct against Donald Trump at a 2016 news conference.The Trump campaign issued a statement at the time calling the allegation "totally false and ridiculous." The campaign added: "Mr. Trump does not know this person, does not remember this person and would have no interest in ever knowing her."“She goes, ‘Remember what I told you about all those years ago,’” Drake said of her conversation with Daniels. “She goes, ‘Be careful, be really careful. You know, don't be alone.’”Trump has denied Daniels' claim of the affair, but Drake says she was with Daniels during one of her encounters with Trump at the 2006 golf event.According to Drake, she and Daniels met the future president earlier that day and was later invited to his hotel room a third woman, where Trump allegedly proceeded to kiss them and ask questions."Well, we were ushered into the room,” Drake said. “And I remember he was wearing pajamas. And he kissed all of us on the lips and kind of, you know, one of those real close, full-body contact hugs. I do believe 100 percent that he was vetting us to see which one or how many of us he liked.”The women left, Drake says, but she later received a call inviting her back to the hotel room. When she refused, someone who worked for Trump called her back to offer her $10,000 to return, she claims.Drake, whose real name is Angel Ryan, says she refused again but Daniels, her friend told her later, went back to Trump’s room on her own."I relayed my experience to her,” Drake said of Daniels. “Like, what happened with me after we left the room. At the time that I relayed that experience to her, I didn't yet know of her experience -- until she said, ‘He didn't offer to pay me.’”Drake said she is speaking up now to back up her friend Daniels, who filed a lawsuit against Trump in March, seeking to invalidate a nondisclosure agreement she signed shortly before the 2016 election.Drake is named in the agreement as someone with whom Daniels discussed the alleged sexual tryst with Trump.A payment, worth $130,000, was made by Trump's longtime attorney Michael Cohen, who is now under criminal investigation. Cohen has said he made the payment personally from his own funds. Trump has said he did not know about the payment by Cohen.Trump denies having an affair with Daniels.Meanwhile, Daniels has not mentioned Drake in interviews about the alleged affair -- nor did she mention being in Trump's room with other women. Daniels' lawyer, Michael Avennati, did not comment to ABC News about Drake's account.Drake said she is not trying to sell her story and does not intend to sue the president, but her attorney, Gloria Allred, has warned the commander-in-chief to mind what he says -– and tweets -&
    Read more...
  • @LAPD/Twitter (LOS ANGELES) -- A Los Angeles man has been charged with murder after a fire killed two people and seriously injured two others at a music studio on Saturday.The Los Angeles Police Department said Eferem Demery, 28, was arrested Saturday and charged on Sunday with murder. Police said further information on the arrest would be provided in a news conference on Monday afternoon."At this point in time we don't know the cause of the fire, but we will investigate it, which will probably take several days to determine," LAPD Capt. William Hayes said.The fire broke out Saturday morning at Top Notch Recordings, a music studio across the Hollywood Freeway from Universal Studios Hollywood amusement park.Los Angeles ABC station KABC identified one of the people killed in the fire as Devaughn Kemar Carter, 28, of Los Angeles.Singer L.A. Pryce, who was in the studio at the time, said he was nearly killed, but thankfully woke up in time to get out."I could have died," Pryce told KABC. "If I wasn't in the light sleep that I was, I could have died. Period." Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...