Archives
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Mourners gathered in lower Manhattan Thursday evening to honor the eight killed and 12 wounded in a terror attack on Tuesday.Attendees converged on Pier 40 at West Houston Street, which is where the Tuesday afternoon attack began when a truck driver mowed down cyclists and pedestrians on a bike path. The suspect drove south for about a mile, leaving a trail of bodies and mangled bicycles in his wake.Participants marched south along the esplanade to Pier 25, "paying respects at designated points along the path," Connie Fishman, executive director of Hudson River Park Friends, said in a statement ahead of the vigil. Remarks were then made Pier 25, just north of where the attack ended, when the suspect crashed into a school bus and was shot by a police officer.Two Americans were among those killed in the attack: Darren Drake and Nicholas Cleves.Darren Drake, 32, of New Milford, New Jersey would have turned 33 on Nov. 18, according to his father. Darren Drake was his only child."I'm not angry at all," Darren Drake's father, Jimmy Drake, told reporters Wednesday. "I'm absolutely hurt."Alex Silverstein, president of Unified Digital Group, where Cleves, 23, of New York City, worked, described him in a statement as "a brilliant, humble, compassionate young professional.""Nicholas was wonderful with people. He was polite, funny, and, above all, considerate in action. ... He was composed, accepting, and open to all. It pains me greatly to reflect that we can no longer experience his unique gifts. A growing light has been senselessly extinguished," Silverstein said. "I was truly blessed to call Nicholas Cleves my colleague and friend."Five Argentines were killed, identified as Hernan Diego Mendoza, Diego Enrique Angelini, Alejandro Damian Pagnucco, Ariel Erlij and Hernan Ferruchi, the country's consulate in New York City said.The victims were from the city of Rosario, Argentina’s president, Mauricio Macri, said."They were five young entrepreneurs, model citizens in Rosario society and I can only imagine with beautiful families,” Macri said in Spanish.The eighth victim was Ann-Laure Decadt, 31, of Belgium. She left behind two sons -- a 3-year-old and a 3-month-old.Decadt’s husband, Alexander Naessens, called her death unbearable. She was on a trip with her mother and two sisters at the time of the attack, Naessens said in a statement today translated from his native Flemish.New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said of the victims, "Six of them came from other nations here because they saw New York as a special place to be. And we now, and forever, will consider them New Yorkers."Besides the eight deaths, 12 people, including two children and two school staff members, were injured.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(NEW YORK) -- The student who claims she was sexually harassed by her professor at Columbia University said she decided to speak out now because, "if I did not come forward, no one else would.""It's been difficult, but it's important to stand up for myself and others," said the 29-year-old doctoral student, who spoke to ABC News on the condition of anonymity.The grad student argued in a lawsuit filed last month that she was "repeatedly kissed and groped" by her professor, William V. Harris, and claims that the school "never took any meaningfully disciplinary action" even after she reported the alleged misconduct."On one occasion, he pulled me toward him and started feeling up and down my back," the student told ABC News. "I just froze.""It was a very uncomfortable situation for me to be in, and it was also very difficult for me to confront him because of the professional power he held over me," she added.Harris, 79, has withdrawn from "teaching, advising and other student-related activities," the university said in a letter to students and faculty sent out on Monday.The letter added that Harris had "agreed" to withdraw from his responsibilities, and went on to say that the "well-being of every member of the Columbia University community remains our very highest priority."The lawsuit, filed against the trustees of Columbia University and Harris, claims that the "sexually exploitive behavior" of the professor was "longstanding and well-known at Columbia."In court documents, the student said Harris told her, "I want to help your career," and asked her to meet for "one-on-one" readings with him.The student told ABC News that when she told Harris that she no longer felt comfortable working with him, "he did not take it well, being confronted in that way, and would become extremely volatile and angry, which I found quite frightening.”The lawsuit argues that the university was "deliberately indifferent" to the alleged harassment after she reported it.Harris declined ABC News' request for comment and referred the request to his attorney, who did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment on Wednesday.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • U.S. Army(WASHINGTON) -- Two members of the Navy's elite SEAL Team Six are under investigation in the death of an Army Green Beret in Mali this past June, according to U.S. officials. The death is being investigated by the Navy's Criminal Investigative Service.On June 4, Army Staff Sgt. Logan J. Melgar was found dead in his room in embassy housing in Bamako, Mali.U.S. officials confirm that two Navy SEALS are under investigation for Melgar's death, and that the SEALS belong to the elite SEAL Team Six.One official said the death is being investigated as a homicide and that investigators are looking into Melgar's suspected asphyxiation.An investigation was immediately launched by the Army's Criminal Investigation Division. That investigation was transferred to the Naval Criminal Investigative Service on Sept. 25."NCIS can confirm we are investigating the death of SSGT Melgar, but beyond that, NCIS does not discuss the details of ongoing investigations," said Ed Buice, an NCIS spokesman.A U.S. official said Melgar's death is being investigated as a homicide.The news of the investigation into Melgar's death was first reported by the New York Times.Melgar’s death was not publicly announced by the Pentagon at the time of his death. Not every military fatality overseas is required to be disclosed publicly by the Pentagon. Typically, the rule of thumb is that fatalities are required to be announced for named operations, such as Operation Inherent Resolve.Melgar was part of a small group of U.S. military personnel working in Bamako, Mali, in support of the U.S. Embassy. The Lubbock, Texas, native enlisted in the Army in January 2012 as an 18X. In 2013, he started his Special Forces training and was assigned to the 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne) in 2016, after he'd completed the Special Forces Qualification and Special Forces Engineer courses.Melgar conducted two deployments to Afghanistan as an engineer sergeant.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABC News(LAREDO, Texas) -- A West Virginia inmate whose escape from jail went unnoticed for nearly two days almost made it across the Mexican border.Todd Wayne Boyes was nabbed early Sunday morning in Laredo, Texas, as he tried to cross the Rio Grande River into Mexico.The capture of the 43-year-old from Caldwell, Ohio, came after a 36-hour manhunt.Boyes somehow bolted from South Central Regional Jail in Charleston, West Virginia, early in the morning on Oct. 25, the day he was supposed to get sentenced for his conviction for fleeing from police, causing bodily injury and possession of a stolen car. He faced three to 20 years in prison.Authorities are investigating how the bespectacled Boyes apparently managed to ditch his inmate jumpsuit for khakis, white sneakers and zip-up jacket, and walk out of the jail at around 5:50 a.m. Oct. 25, according to the West Virginia Department of Military Affairs and Public Safety.State police said they were not notified of his escape until 43 hours later, at around 12:30 a.m. Friday.Despite three formal, end-of-shift head counts, none were able to pinpoint Boyes' disappearance, Lawrence Messina, a spokesman for the public safety department, said in a statement.The jail discovered he was missing in head count at 7 p.m. Thursday, according to ABC News affiliate WCHS-TV in Charleston.Afterward, a review of the facility's security video yielded footage of Boyes leaving the facility the previous morning.A Charleston lawyer told WCHS-TV that he alerted the jail to the escape after he met with a client at the facility.Lawyer Kevin Davis told the station that his client phoned him Wednesday morning to say he had "life-or-death" information. During a 4 p.m. jailhouse visit that day, the client told Davis about the escaped inmate.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A major coastal storm is expected to blow through the East Coast Sunday into Monday, arriving exactly five years after superstorm Sandy devastated the area.On Saturday, the storm system -- which is expected to be significantly less powerful than Sandy -- is forecast to spread heavy rain across Florida, after which it will quickly move up the East Coast.By Sunday afternoon, heavy rain will be falling from New Jersey to New England.The heaviest rain will be Sunday evening from New York City to Boston. Flash flooding is possible, with some areas getting more than 6 inches of rainfall.As the storm gets stronger and closer to the Northeast, gusty winds will develop, especially into Monday morning. Some of the gusts could reach 50 to 60 mph, and in New England, gusts may near 70 mph.Travelers should brace for potential delays at northeastern airports. Sunday marks five years to the day that Superstorm Sandy devastated the East Coast in 2012. The storm resulted in dozens of deaths in New York state, and both New York and New Jersey reported over $30 billion in damages.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...