Archives
  • (ABC News) An investigation is underway in Perris, Calif., after 13 siblings ages 2 to 29 were allegedly held captive in a home, some shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks, authorities said.(PERRIS, Calif.) -- The 13 siblings who were rescued from their parents' home, where they had been allegedly held captive, starved and, in some cases, shackled, were seen walking military-style, single-file, according to a former neighbor.The brothers and sisters -- ages two to 29 -- were found at their parents' home in Perris, California, Sunday, where some were allegedly "shackled to their beds with chains and padlocks in dark and foul-smelling surroundings," the Riverside County Sheriff's Office said. They appeared malnourished and dirty, the sheriff's department said.The victims have since been hospitalized for treatment while their parents, Louise Turpin and David Turpin, have been arrested.Louise Turpin’s sister Elizabeth Flores told ABC News she hasn't seen her sister in 20 years, but recalled how the children's lives were extremely regimented when she lived with them two decades earlier. Flores said the children had to ask permission to speak, and said they would look to their mother for cues about whether they could answer her when Flores tried to talk to them.Flores, who was in her late teens at the time, said her sister wouldn't allow her to invite friends over or allow her to call friends. She also described disturbing incidents involving her sister allegedly watching her shower with her husband, though she stressed that David Turpin never touched her.Flores emphasized that she never witnessed any abuse of the children while she lived in the home. She added that she cares about her nieces and nephews greatly and hopes to see them overcome what they endured, saying that she wants them to know that she loves them and that family members tried to visit them over the years.Mike Clifford, a neighbor of the family at their former home in Murrieta, California, works the overnight shift and said he’d come home at midnight and see the children in the upstairs rooms marching from room to room, single-file. The marching would last for hours, he told ABC News.On the few occasions that Clifford’s wife saw any of the children, she said they answered in unison, in a monotone and robotic way, according to Clifford.Multiple neighbors said they only saw the children when they would pile in their family van late at night. They would also only return late at night.The victims were found after one of the children -- a 17-year-old girl -- allegedly escaped from the Southern California home through a window Sunday morning and called 911. Responding officers said the teen was slightly emaciated and "appeared to be only 10 years old."Seven of the alleged victims were adults and the others were children as young as two.David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, were arrested on charges of torture and child endangerment, the sheriff's office said, and are expected to be arraigned Thursday. They will be represented by attorneys with the Riverside County Public Defender's Office. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • 3drenderings/iStock/Thinkstock(COLUMBUS, Ohio) -- A teenager was shot and killed during what appears to be a scuffle during a juvenile court hearing in Columbus, Ohio Wednesday afternoon.A 16-year-old was appearing in court for what Franklin County Sheriff’s officials say was a menacing with a firearm charge when a dispute broke out between the teen’s family and a deputy in the courtroom.Deputies responded to the scene at the Franklin County Courthouse at 400 S Front St. just before 1 p.m., officials said.Officials said that during the incident the deputy was knocked to the ground when his gun discharged, striking the victim. It was not revealed whether the discharge was intentional or accidental.The victim was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead, officials said. The deputy was also taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • aijohn784/iStock/Thinkstock(HOUSTON) -- Three people have been arrested in the killing of a Houston couple who authorities say were ambushed and "executed" at their home in a gated community.Investigators believe when Bao and Jenny Lam, both 61, came home Thursday night, they were "ambushed" by the suspects as they parked in the garage," the Harris County Sheriff's Office said.Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez, who called the crime "heinous," said the three arrested were charged with capital murder. One of those arrested confessed to the crime, an investigator said.Authorities said they received numerous tips as a result of media coverage, which led investigators to the Lincoln Navigator the suspects were seen in near the victims' home.Two suspects were caught on surveillance video arriving at the subdivision Thursday, parking a Lincoln Navigator near the gate and then crawling under the gate and into the neighborhood, according to the sheriff's office.Authorities said the suspects "forced" the victims into their home, "where they were bound, robbed, and murdered."The suspects allegedly fled in the Lams' car before returning and going into the house a few hours later, authorities said. Over the course of those few days, the suspects likely went back into the house several times, the sheriff's office said.The house appeared to be ransacked with firearms and other valuables were missing, the sheriff's office said.The victims' son, who went to check on his parents Saturday night after not hearing from them since Thursday, called police from the home, the sheriff's office said. When deputies went inside, authorities said they found the Lams bound and shot to death.The sheriff on Wednesday called the suspects "scumbags."At Wednesday's news conference, the victims' son, Richard Lam, said he is "relieved to have these three men off the streets, no longer able to harm anybody else."At a news conference earlier this week, the couple's daughter, Michelle Lam, begged the public to help solve the case."We miss them so much," she said. "They were just going home from having dinner."Richard Lam, a military officer, called his parents his "personal superheroes."He said Bao and Jenny Lam immigrated to the United States in the 1970s and worked several jobs at once."They just made sure we had every opportunity to realize our dreams," he said. They later built successful businesses, the sheriff said.Richard Lam said his father always wanted to be a military officer and often spoke how great the American military is."They were truly amazing people," he said.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Chad Baker/Photodisc/Thinkstock(NEW HAVEN, Mich.) -- The meteor that lit up the night sky over southeast Michigan and shook the ground Tuesday night did not actually cause an earthquake, researchers say.In fact, meteors do not cause earthquakes to rupture along a fault, according to William Yeck, a research geophysicist at the United States Geological Survey's National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colorado.The seismic observations associated with the meteor were assigned a magnitude 2.0 by the United States Geological Survey, which said the event was centered about five miles west-southwest of New Haven, Michigan, some 40 miles northeast of Detroit. But Yeck said the magnitude cannot be directly used to compare the meteor's size to an earthquake because the source of the seismic signals are different."While the event was reported as a magnitude two, the magnitude scale is used to estimate the size of earthquakes and therefore is not an accurate representation of the observations from a meteor," Yeck told ABC News.Researchers are still investigating this specific incident, Yeck said. The seismic waves observed from these events are typically not from an impact but instead are sound waves generated in the atmosphere.Bill Cooke, the lead of NASA's Meteoroid Environment Office at the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama, said Tuesday night's phenomenon occurred when a meteor, measuring about two yards in diameter and traveling at about 28,000 mph, entered the Earth's atmosphere over Michigan.The pressure difference between the air in front of the meteor and the air behind it caused the rock to break apart and explode in the sky with the force of less than 100 tonnes of TNT, Cooke said. That explosion generated shock waves that traveled down to the ground northeast of Detroit, where residents heard a loud boom and felt the ground beneath them tremble.The meteor would not have landed intact, Cooke said, but rather tiny pieces weighing only a few ounces would have scattered over the area.And it's not a rare event."It's common with fireballs that produce meteorites on the ground," Cooke said. "When the shock waves hit the ground, it will shake the ground a bit."Still, the explosive flash, the sonic boom and the ensuing vibrations on the ground both dazzled and startled residents."That's probably a little bit disconcerting," Cooke said.Although meteorites have damaged cars and the roofs of homes, Cooke said no one has been killed by a meteorite in recorded history."I would say most folks are pretty safe," he said.
    Read more...
  • aijohn784/iStock/Thinkstock(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) -- Police in North Carolina shot and killed a man outside the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Law Enforcement Center hours after the man allegedly killed the mother of his infant daughter.According to police, Jonathan Bennett, 23, drove into the parking lot outside the police department at about 11 p.m. and opened fire on a group of officers. One officer was hit by gunfire, while police returned fire on the suspect, shooting and killing him.The officer was struck in the leg and transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. The shootout came about six hours after Charlotte-Mecklenburg police announced they were searching for Bennett as the suspect in the killing of the mother of Bennett's 2-month-old baby.Officials initially said the man had fled with the baby, Journei Bennett, but she was found safe and unharmed, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said.Police said the victim, whose name was not released, was found shot at a home this afternoon. She died at the scene, police said. A second child was found unharmed at the scene, police said.It appears to be a "domestic-related and that the victim and suspect were known to one another," police said.Police had announced they were searching for Jonathan Bennett, who was last seen driving a white Ford Expedition, earlier in the day. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...