• SAUL LOEB/AFP/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- The National Security Agency will cease collecting internet communications that merely mention an individual who is considered to be a “foreign intelligence target.”The move is being welcomed by privacy advocates who have criticized the earlier practice as the collection of domestic communications by an agency intended to intercept only foreign communications.The agency will now limit its collection to specific internet communications that are sent directly to or from a foreign target.“NSA will no longer collect certain internet communications that merely mention a foreign intelligence target,” a news release posted on the agency’s website said.The National Security Agency collects intercepted voice and data communications, known as signals intelligence, that are made overseas.“The Agency will stop the practice to reduce the chance that it would acquire communications of U.S. persons or others who are not in direct contact with a foreign intelligence target,” the release added.The NSA said it will also delete “the vast majority” of the casual mentions of individuals who are foreign targets "to further protect the privacy of U.S. person communications." What’s known as "about" information may consist of the mention of a targeted email address found "in the text or body of the email, even though the email is between two persons who are not themselves targets." NSA will delete the vast majority of its upstream internet data to further protect the privacy of U.S. individuals’ communications “to further protect the privacy of U.S. person communications.”The change is being made after an internal review of section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act that “discovered several inadvertent compliance lapses.”Crafted to fight international terrorism and cyberthreats, section 702 allows the intelligence community to conduct surveillance on specific foreign targets located outside the United States.Set to expire later this year, it could be reauthorized by Congress.The collection of “about” and “upstream” communications had been criticized as a means of domestic surveillance collection by the NSA, which collects foreign communications.“This development underscores the need for Congress to significantly reform Section 702 of FISA, which will continue to allow warrantless surveillance of Americans,” said Neema Singh Guliani, American Civil Liberties Union legislative counsel.“While the NSA’s policy change will curb some of the most egregious abuses under the statute, it is at best a partial fix,” Guliani added.“Congress should take steps to ensure such practices are never resurrected and end policies that permit broad, warrantless surveillance under Section 702, which is up for reauthorization at the end of the year.”
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Members of the violent MS-13 gang have been linked to the recent deaths of several young people on Long Island, New York.While MS-13’s presence in some of Long Island's suburban communities is nothing new, some recent killings that are believed to be gang-affiliated have drawn nationwide attention, including from President Trump who has said the murders are linked to relaxed immigration policies of the past."MS-13, you know about MS-13?" the president said in a speech for the National Rifle Association Friday. "It's not pleasant for them anymore, folks, it's not pleasant for them anymore. That's a bad group. Not pleasant for MS-13 -- get them the hell out of here, right? Get 'em out."Attorney General Jeff Sessions echoed the president's remarks in a speech he gave on gang violence near a Long Island park where the bodies of four young men were found earlier this month.“I have a message for gang members who target young people,” Sessions said, according to ABC-owned station WABC-TV. “We are targeting you. We are going after you.”Many killings attributed to MS-13 have been in two Long Island communities -- Brentwood and Central Islip. A map below shows just how close the locations are of where the bodies were found.Here are several killings that took place from mid-2016 to now:June 3, 2016: Jose Pena, 18, was a student at Brentwood High School in Suffolk County, Long Island. According to reports from the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Eastern District of New York, he was killed on June 3, 2016, but the remains of his body were not recovered until Oct. 17, 2016. The U.S. Attorney's Office reports that murder charges have been brought against suspects in Pena's death.Sept. 13, 2016: Brentwood High School students Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, were both killed on Sept. 13, 2016. Sept. 16, 2016: Oscar Acosta’s body was found in an industrial area on Emjay Boulevard in Long Island on Sept. 16, 2016 according to WABC-TV. The 19-year-old had been reported missing since May 2016.Sept. 21, 2016: Miguel Garcia Moran, 15, who had been missing since February 2016, was found dead on Sept. 21, 2016 in a wooded area in Brentwood, according to WABC-TV.Oct. 13, 2016: Dewann A.S. Stacks, 34, was found suffering mortal injuried on American Boulevard in Long Island on Oct. 13, 2016 according to reports from WABC-TV. When officers arrived on the scene, Stacks was still alive with injuries to his head and face, but was pronounced dead later at the scene when rescue efforts were unsuccessful.April 12, 2017: Long Island’s most recent case of alleged gang killings occurred about two weeks ago, when the bodies of Justin Livicura, 16, Michael Banegas, 18, Jefferson Villalobos, 18, and Jorge Tigre, 18 were found. According to WABC-TV, relatives say the victims were going to the park to meet with friends when they were attacked by a group carrying machetes.
    Read more...
  • Howard County Police Department(BALTIMORE) -- Howard County police are searching for a prisoner who escaped from the Clifton T. Perkins Hospital Center on Dorsey Run Road in Jessup Friday morning, according to ABC affiliate WMAR-TV.
    Read more...
  • AJ Calvin(MOBILE, Ala.) -- Dashcam footage showed a man walk away after he was ejected from a rollover crash on I-65 in Mobile, Alabama.A.J. Calvin who captured the crash on video spoke to ABC News Friday about the incident. "I knew it was going to be a wreck," he said.Calvin said he watched the incident unfold in front of him. "The green Mustang flew by at first, and I was focused on that, but then all of a sudden the white Jeep came flying up in another lane," Calvin recalled.The footage shows the white Jeep appear to speed up an exit lane of I-65 when it suddenly clipped the back edge of another vehicle, causing the Jeep to flip and roll across multiple lanes of traffic."When the Jeep got in the exit-ramp lane, to me it looked like he never even hit the brakes, like he had to be turned around looking back at the Mustang or something," Calvin said.Calvin immediately rushed to help at the scene when he noticed a man walking near the vehicle. "I saw him walking to the Jeep. I didn’t know who it was at first," Calvin said. "And then I saw blood all over him, so I said 'oh my God!'" he added when he realized it was the Jeep driver.The driver of the car hit by the Jeep got out of her car to help an off-duty paramedic, who had apparently stopped after seeing the crash, assist a passenger in the Jeep get out of the vehicle."I was shocked at first that she was OK," Calvin said of the driver of the car that was hit. "But then she did the right thing and went and helped" the passenger.The off-duty paramedic helped assess the Jeep driver and passenger's injuries.Calvin said the passenger did not look very good. "He kept trying to get up," Calvin said. "His eyes were glazed over and he was dazed."The Mobile Police Department did not immediately respond to a request by ABC News for information about the crash.
    Read more...
  • Siskiyou County Sheriff(NEW YORK) -- The wife of the former Tennessee teacher who was discovered last week in a rural cabin after over a month on the run with his 15-year-old student, said that he told her that he slept with the teen.Jill Cummins spoke out about 50-year-old Tad Cummins' alleged relationship with Elizabeth Thomas in an exclusive interview with Inside Edition, saying that she asked him, "'Did you sleep with her?' And he said, 'Yes, I did,' and so I did not want any details.""I knew the truth, I just wanted to hear it from him," she added."He kept saying, 'I love you,' but I said 'I'm sorry, but I am not going to say that back,'" Jill Cummins said, adding that he begged her for forgiveness after he was taken into custody by authorities on April 20.Tad Cummins led investigators on a cross-country journey that lasted over a month before he was arrested in Northern California, according to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation."It was very hard to hear his voice after all this time, not knowing if I was going to hear it again, but he told me he was sorry," Jill Cummins told Inside Edition. "He told me that he loved me and ... please forgive him.""I told him I wouldn't be answering the phone anymore," she added.Jill Cummins told ABC News in a previous interview that she had filed for divorce from Tad Cummins, after more than 30 years of marriage.Tad Cummins faces charges in Siskiyou County, California, for kidnapping and possession of stolen property, according to the sheriff's office. The charges are pending review by Siskiyou County District Attorney Kirk Andrus.
    Read more...
  • Arkansas Department of Correction(VARMER, Ark.) -- Arkansas executed its fourth prisoner in eight days on Thursday night, within an hour of the U.S. Supreme Court denying a motion for a stay of execution.Kenneth Williams, a 38-year-old man convicted of two murders, was scheduled to be put to death by lethal injection at 7 p.m. local time at a correctional facility in Varmer, but the execution was delayed so that the Supreme Court could resolve a handful of other cases before considering Williams' fate.The execution comes as one of the trio of drugs it uses in lethal injections is due to expire at the end of the month.It is not known how Arkansas will carry out future executions after the drug expires.Williams was serving life in prison for the murder of 19-year-old Dominique Hurd when he escaped in 1999 and killed Cecil Boren. His capture resulted in another man's death, Michael Greenwood, who was killed in a vehicle crash with Williams."The long path of justice ended tonight and Arkansans can reflect on the last two weeks with confidence that our system of laws in this state has worked," said Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson in a statement. "Carrying out the penalty of the jury in the Kenneth Williams case was necessary. There has never been a question of guilt."
    Read more...