Judge Sets Bond at $100,000 for New Person Arrested for Arson Fires in Centralia
Prosecutor: Andrew Davis Told Investigators He Got 'Warm and Fuzzy Feeling' After Starting Fires
0 0
Andrew Davis

Bond was set at $100,000 in Marion County Court Tuesday for a 22-year-old Centralia man charged with arson and residential arson.

Andrew Davis was arrested Monday after turning himself in to Centralia Police for setting a fire that heavily damaged a home and detached garage at 1118 South Locust and a vacant mobile home at 435 South Hickory Street.

Assistant State's Attorney Melissa Doran sought the high bond after noting Davis had set multiple fires in one night and the 'warm and fuzzy feeling' Davis told investigators he felt when setting and watching fires. She noted Davis also let another person spend a full week in jail for his crime before turning himself into police. Doran said she would be deeply concerned for the public if Davis was released.

Public Defender Melanie Pearce countered Davis had no priors, was a resident of Marion County and did approach police to confess. She suggested a home confinement as an alternative to bond.

Doran responded by asking Judge Mark Stedelin to remember what happened last time someone tried to confine Davis to a home, he set his room on fire after being grounded by his parents.

Stedelin agreed with the $100,000 bond request, calling Davis a high risk to the public from potentially setting other fires. He set a preliminary hearing in the case for March 1st at 11 am.

In the probable cause statement, Doran explained how Davis had detailed to police and fire investigators through drawing maps how he started all three fires. After setting the two fires on South Locust, Doran said he went to the mobile home on South Hickory where he warmed up. Before leaving he set it on fire.

Davis then went to a family friend's house where he admitted to setting the fires. After saying he was going to turn himself in, he asked to leave some of his belongings. However, after learning Blaze Snow had been arrested for the fires the next day he went back and got his items. At that point, the family friend made an anonymous call to the police station that Davis had actually set the fire. Doran says before they had a chance to investigate, Davis came to the station and turned himself in.

Doran says Davis could face an additional charge from setting the mobile home on fire once ownership is determined. He also admitted setting or attempting to set several other fires that still need to be investigated.

Snow had charges dropped against him and released from the Marion County Jail once Davis' story checked out.

Leave a comment:

· Subscribe to comments
Be the first to comment here!