Quantcast
WJBD - Entertainment

WJBD Radio

Images


Advertisement
Advertisements

iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(SAN DIEGO) -- Comic-Con International: San Diego officially starts Thursday, and among the almost 130 thousand attendees packing the San Diego Convention Center are stars of the big and small screen -- and more costumed fans than you can shake a lightsaber, magic wand or sonic screwdriver at.

Former WWE champ Dave Bautista, one of the stars of the upcoming Marvel blockbuster Guardians of the Galaxy, has been coming for the past four years. He tells ABC News Radio, "It's such a geekfest man, it's incredible, like the energy there. People are so excited and it's all just kind of for their love of comics and sci-fi and geekdom and...it's awesome."

Bautista knows a thing or two about costuming, seeing as he had to be made up head-to-toe in grey body makeup and tattoos to play the towering Marvel hero Drax. He tells ABC News Radio that even he is floored by the costumers on hand at the event. "I think just all the cosplay, seeing all the costumes and stuff, just crazy," Bautista said. "I mean people spend their whole year planning it, and it's very obvious when you see some of the costumes, they're just insane."

However, that costuming could be a little intense for some of the younger attendees -- a lesson Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. star Ming-Na Wen told ABC News Radio she learned last year. "There were a lot more zombies than I anticipated," she laughed, "and it scared the crap out of my seven-year-old. I was like, 'No this isn't the normal Comic-Con, I don't think.'"

The annual event is expected to break news not only in the world of Marvel, but also for upcoming movies like Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and TV shows from The Simpsons to True Blood to The Walking Dead and everything in between. Also on hand will be countless celebrities, and the cutting edge of gadgets, collectibles and video games.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Lawrence Lucier/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- Russell Simmons is set to honor his ex-wife, Kimora Lee Simmons, among others at the 15th annual Art for Life Benefit in Bridgehampton, New York, on July 26, which will benefit his Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation. Although it may raise eyebrows for some, the rap and media mogul tells ABC News Radio that in fact, Kimora and her husband, investment banker Tim Leissner, are huge supporters of the foundation and are expected to announce a "huge number" donation that evening, marking the "biggest donation we ever received."

So how do the two exes remain friends after splitting in 2009?  "How is that possible that you could love somebody so much and then create something so beautiful as your children and not share that bond and appreciate the process?" Simmons asks rhetorically.

"No matter what your differences are you should have something much greater than those differences in your children," he adds. "And I think it seems to me elementary but, you know, surprising to some other people."

Russell and Kimora Lee Simmons are parent to two daughters, Ming Lee and Aoki Lee. Kimora also has a son, Kenzo, with her ex-boyfriend, actor Djimon Hounsou.

With the help of Kimora's donation, the Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation will continue to expose the arts to inner city youth in New York City. Russell said he started the foundation with his brothers, rapper/minister Joseph “Rev. Run” Simmons and Danny Simmons, because it was instilled in them at an early age that arts and creativity were important.

"My mother was a painter. My father was a poet. My brother is a painter. My other brother is a poet. I'm a producer of creative projects and a writer of creative projects. And so I realized that the outward expression and everything you do is informed by some creativity, some imagination," Simmons explains. "It's very important to cultivate the imagination."

Music lovers may want to check out the "Art for Life" auction on Charitybuzz, in which proceeds will also go to the foundation. The auction includes the opportunity to meet LL Cool J, meet Macklemore and Ryan Lewis and attend their Sept. 13 concert in Las Vegas, hang out with John Legend while he's on the road or meet Will Smith and attend the red carpet premiere of his upcoming film, Focus, in 2015. Bidding is open for those prizes until Aug. 7.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Ursula Coyote/AMC(ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.) -- Better Call Saul has yet to air, but the Breaking Bad spin-off already has a leg up on viral marketing thanks to an attention-getting new billboard in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

An eagle-eyed Instagram user first pointed out the billboard, which features a photo of the fictional lawyer and the name he used before becoming sleazy Saul Goodman: James M. McGill. The sign also includes a phone number that leads to an active line.

“Hello, you’ve reached the law office of James M. McGill esquire, a lawyer you can trust," says a voice that sounds like star Bob Odenkirk. "Kindly leave your information at the tone and Mr. McGill will phone you promptly.”

The billboard is apparently being used in an episode of the AMC series, which recently started shooting in Albuquerque and is set to air in early 2015. The spin-off is set to pick up before the events of Breaking Bad.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


ABC/Ida Mae Astute(NEW YORK) -- In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, it seems that Robert Downey Jr. would certainly be up for a fourth Iron Man film.

On the set of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Forbes' highest-earning actor in Hollywood -- thanks in no small part to his multi-million-dollar Marvel deal that kept him playing Tony Stark through that sequel -- Downey said, "Why give up the belt when it feels like you can barely get jabbed?" He then added, however, “Most people are saying that right when they get knocked out."

The actor had expressed that as any actor's price tag rises as a long-running series continues, so does the specter of the role being recast, though in the past he's admitted, "I would really hate for someone else to think they could step into my shoes."

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige has said he sees Iron Man as on par with James Bond or Batman -- an iconic character that will live on onscreen for years, and thus would logically have to be recast at some point.

Luckily for Downey, most Marvel fans worldwide agree -- and the box office bears it out -- that his red-and-gold iron boots would be tough to fill, as the actor is now synonymous with the billionaire, genius, playboy philanthropist he brought to life onscreen.

Even comic book legend Stan Lee, co-creator of Tony Stark/Iron Man, agrees. He recently told ABC News Radio, "I think that Robert Downey Jr. thinks he is Tony Stark...Nobody can play the role better than him. He is Tony Stark."

For now, it seems Downey is optimistic he'll get a shot at an Iron Man 4, telling EW, "It's down to Kevin and [Marvel Entertainment CEO] Ike [Perlmutter] and Disney to come to us with what the proposal is, and that’s on us to agree or disagree," allowing, "When things are going great, there's a lot of agreement."

Falling into the "great" category, no doubt, is the fact that every Iron Man movie has out-grossed its predecessor, leading up to the staggering 1.3-billion-dollar take of the last installment.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio


Cliff Lipson/CBS(LONDON) -- Adele's son is only two years old, but he's already well on his way to being rich like his mom. The BBC reports that lawyers for the boy, referred to as Angelo Adkins, despite Adele never publicly revealing his name, have accepted a five-figure sum in damages to settle a case over paparazzi photos.

Adele, who was born Adele Adkins, and her partner Simon Konecki, Angelo's father, sued a photo agency for taking photos of Angelo's "milestone moments" between June and November of 2013, and then selling them to the British press.

A lawyer for Adele told a High Court in London that she doesn't want her son to be thought of as "public property," and added, "It is a matter of profound sadness that many of his milestone moments, such as his first family outing and his first trip to playgroup, were photographed and published worldwide expressly against his family's wishes."

Added the lawyer, "These images were taken during private, recreational time unconnected with professional or public engagements. They represent a clear infringement of our client's right to privacy."

The photo agency agreed to pay damages and legal costs, and has also agreed not to re-use the photos.

Adele's lawyer said that the singer and Konecki would "continue to do all they can to protect Angelo's rights in relation to the paparazzi, including taking legal action where necessary."  The lawyer noted that Adele helped fund a similar campaign in California to create stricter laws regarding the photographing of children of celebrities.


Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio





Welcome to Our New Website

Same WJBD but with more content than ever before. We will have more features up and running in no time.


Follow Us At

This Site logo