Archives
  • David McNew/Newsmakers/Getty(NOVI, Mich.) -- A Michigan man is facing charges after he allegedly made threatening calls to CNN's Atlanta headquarters, telling workers that he would come "to gun you all down," according to court documents obtained by ABC News on Monday.Authorities said the suspect, identified as Brandon Griesemer of Novi, Michigan, made at least 22 phone calls to the news network’s publicly listed telephone number on Jan. 9 and 10, making derogatory comments, death threats and accusing it of spewing "fake news," according to an FBI affidavit.Griesemer is accused of violating federal extortion and interstate communications rules."You are going down. I have a gun and I am coming to Georgia right now to go to the CNN headquarters to f----ing gun every single last one of you," the caller said on one of the occasions, according to the affidavit. "I have a team of people. It's going to be great, man. ... You gotta get prepared for this one, buddy.""Fake news! I'm coming to gun you all down,” the caller said in another instance.The caller also made derogatory comments toward Jewish people and referred to CNN employees by the n-word, according to the affidavit.Federal investigators said they traced the calls to a mobile phone belonging to Griesemer.The same mobile number was connected to a call made to an Islamic center in September, when a man made derogatory comments relating to mosques and Muslims, investigators said. Griesemer admitted to calling the center on Sept. 19, telling police that he was angry at the time of the call.The FBI cited location data and audio analysis in its criminal complaint against Griesemer. It was not clear if Griesemer had obtained an attorney as of early Tuesday morning.CNN acknowledged the ongoing investigation in a statement on Monday and said it was in touch with law enforcement."We take any threats to CNN employees or workplaces, around the world, extremely seriously. This one is no exception," the statement said. "We have been in touch with local and federal law enforcement throughout, and have taken all necessary measures to ensure the safety of our people."CNN contributor Ana Navarro connected the threats to anti-media comments made by President Donald Trump, who has often referred to members of the media as "fake news." He also came under fire last year after he tweeted an edited video of him wrestling a man with a CNN logo over his face."This is why Trump’s words and tweets, and his memes showing violence against the press, matter," Navarro said in a tweet Monday night, referring to the Griesemer case.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Kris Tripplaar/Sipa USA/ABCNews.com(BUTLER COUNTY, Pa.) -- A recently married gay couple has filed a federal lawsuit against printing company Vistaprint after allegedly receiving discriminatory flyers instead of their wedding programs.According to the lawsuit, Stephen Heasley and Andrew Borg of Australia discovered the flyers when they went to open a package they had received from Vistaprint the night before their wedding in Butler County, Pennsylvania. Instead of the colorful blue and yellow programs they had ordered, there were about 80 flyers entitled “Understanding Temptation: Fight the good fight of the faith.”Printed on the flyers were a number of statements the couple alleges were purposefully meant to threaten them as a direct result of their sexual orientation, including, “The supreme tempter is Satan who uses our weaknesses to lead us into sin. You must understand where temptations come from if you desire to change the way you live.”Borg and Heasley say agents or employees of the Middlesex, Massachusetts, company intended to discriminate against them by choosing not to provide them with the same services as a straight couple.Beyond the emotional damages, the couple says they paid Vistaprint $79.49 for 100 copies of their programs, and were forced to print their own programs just before their wedding, at an extra cost to them. Since they had already paid Vistaprint, they allege the company was in breach of contract.In a letter to customers, the CEOs of Vistaprint and Cimpress -- Vistaprint's founder and owner -- Trynka Shineman and Robert Keane wrote, "On January 16th, we learned that a same sex couple who were married in Pennsylvania in September of last year ordered 100 custom wedding programs from Vistaprint and instead, received pamphlets that they felt were hurtful. To know that any customer could feel treated in such a way, especially during a time that should be filled with joy, is extremely disheartening.""We have never been more disappointed to let a customer down,” they added.According to the letter, a third party which fills Vistaprint orders sent Borg and Heasley an order meant for a different customer, though their investigation is ongoing.Shineman and Keane also claim they have reached out to the couple to "express [their] sadness."In a statement obtained by Boston ABC affiliate WCVB, Borg and Heasley said, "Our goal is to hold Vistaprint accountable for the harm they have caused, to give a voice to others who may have been similarly victimized, to help prevent this from happening to someone else and to send a message that there will be consequences for acts of hate perpetrated against others."The lawsuit seeks unspecified damages as a result of economic, mental and emotional distress.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(CUPERTINO, Calif.) -- Apple announced Wednesday that it will be investing $350 billion in the U.S. economy over the next five years, creating more than 20,000 jobs.In a news release, the company also said it would make a $38 billion tax payment to the U.S. as required by recent changes to the tax law. Apple said this would be the largest tax payment of its kind."We believe deeply in the power of American ingenuity, and we are focusing our investments in areas where we can have a direct impact on job creation and job preparedness. We have a deep sense of responsibility to give back to our country and the people who help make our success possible," CEO Tim Cook said in the release.Apple said it would focus on three areas: direct employment by Apple; spending and investment with its domestic suppliers and manufacturers; and fueling the fast-growing app economy that it's created with the iPhone and its App Store.Amid Wednesday's news, the company also broke ground on a new site in Reno, Nevada. Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(BETONVILLE, Ark.) -- Walmart is offering a first-of-its kind opioid disposal product for free at all of its pharmacies, according to a company statement.The product, called DisposeRX, enables patients to responsibly dispose of leftover medications by turning them into a useless gel. A DisposeRX packet is used by emptying it into a pill bottle with warm water to create the biodegradable gel, according to a statement from Walmart. The solution solidifies, and can be tossed out, making them inaccessible for illicit use."DisposeRx provides a virtually effortless way for patients to destroy leftover opioids and a way to do so without ever leaving home," said Walmart in a statement.Beginning immediately, patients filling any new Class II opioid prescriptions, such as oxycodone and methadone, at Walmart pharmacies will receive a free DisposeRx packet and opioid safety information brochure when picking up their prescription.“About one-third of medications sold go unused. Too often, these dangerous narcotics remain unsecured where children, teens or visitors may have access." said Sen. John Boozman, R-Ark.The product will be available at all 4,700 Walmart pharmacies. The chemicals in DisposeRx are listed as safe by the FDA, according to Walmart.In 2016, 46 people died every day in the United States from prescription opioid overdose, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • ABCNews.com(LOS ANGELES) -- Beleaguered YouTube star Logan Paul is looking for a second chance following the fallout he's faced in response to a video he uploaded Dec. 31, which appeared to show a lifeless, hanging body in Japan's so-called suicide forest.In the clip, which received an onslaught of online criticism, the audience appears to see the body of an apparent suicide victim hanging from a tree.On Monday, Paul spoke to TMZ on camera as the vlogger was boarding a plane at Los Angeles International Airport."Everyone deserves second chances," he told the outlet when asked about his next steps.On what he's learned from the past few weeks, he added, "Everything, so many things," and said that a message to his fans is "coming ... soon."This isn't the first time Paul, who's known for his pranks and comedy vlogs, has apologized for the video.Since that video received public damnation, Paul has taken a leave of absence from social media and YouTube removed him from Google Preferred, a premier ad service that offers brand advertisers access to top channel producers.He also apologized on Jan. 1 in a letter to fans, saying his intentions in posting the video were to raise awareness of suicide prevention and not to anger anyone. Paul posted a warning at the start of the video advising viewers who are considering suicide to seek help."Where do I begin," he wrote. "Let's start with this -- I'm sorry."Paul added that he's never "made a mistake like this before.""But I'm still a human being. I can be wrong," he continued. "I didn't do it for views ... I did it because I thought I could make a positive ripple on the internet, not cause a monsoon of negativity."He later added a video apology, saying that his reactions in the video were raw and unfiltered, and that "none of us knew how to react." He said he knew he should have put the cameras down and stopped filming.His last post almost two weeks ago read, "Taking time to reflect. No vlog for now. See you soon."Then last week, YouTube said he will not be featured on season 4 of the original YouTube series "Foursome" and added that "his new Originals are on hold."These actions came after YouTube previously released a statement on its Twitter page indicating Paul would be penalized for sharing the inappropriate video with his 15 million subscribers. “The channel violated our community guidelines, we acted accordingly, and we are looking at further consequences,” the statement reads.Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...