Archives
  • Marion County Jail(ORLANDO, Fla.) — A Florida man has been charged in connection with a plot to bomb Target stores along the East Coast, with hopes that such an attack would force the retailer's stock to plunge and allow him to cheaply buy its stock, federal investigators announced Thursday.Mark Charles Barnett of Ocala has been charged with "possession of a firearm (destructive device) affecting commerce by a previously convicted felon," according to a news release issued by the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Florida.Barnett "theorized that the company’s stock value would plunge after the explosions, allowing him to cheaply acquire shares of Target stock before an eventual rebound in prices," reads the press release.A Target spokeswoman told ABC News, "Target commends the law enforcement agencies responsible for apprehending this individual. As this is an active investigation, please contact the Public Affairs Office for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Florida with any additional questions."Barnett offered an unnamed individual — referred to as a "confidential source" (CS) in the documents — $10,000 to plant bombs in stores in several states, according to the affidavit supporting the criminal complaint cited in the press release."Barnett created at least 10 of the explosive devices, disguised in food-item packaging, which Barnett delivered to the CS on February 9, 2017," reads the press release, citing the affidavit supporting the criminal complaint. "Barnett then asked the CS to place the explosive devices on store shelves from New York to Florida. He also provided the CS with a bag of gloves, a mask, and a license plate cover to disguise the CS’s identity from law enforcement."But the individual contacted law enforcement officials instead of planting the devices in the stores. "Once FDLE received the information we initiated an investigation. Upon determining the nature of the threat we notified and began working jointly with our local, state and federal partners. The arrest in this case demonstrates the importance of collaboration in keeping our communities safe," said Florida Department of Law Enforcement commissioner Rick Swearingen."An explosives expert determined that they were capable of causing property damage, serious injury, or death to nearby persons upon detonation," according to the press release.Federal agents subsequently searched Barnett's house and "components consistent with those used to create the explosive devices" were discovered, the U.S. Attorney's Office said. These items included rocket igniters, M-5000 explosives and battery sources."The swift work of ATF Special Agents, Explosives Enforcement Officers, and other specialized violent crime resources foiled this individual's plot that could have caused great harm to the public," said Special Agent in Charge Daryl McCrary, ATF Tampa Field Division. "Our Federal and State law enforcement partners played a vital role in supporting this investigation, and ATF will continue to work alongside the U.S. Attorney’s Office to bring this case to a successful resolution."If convicted, Barnett faces a maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison. Barnett is currently in custody at the Marion County Jail on state charges for violating his terms of probationThe U.S. Attorney's Office cautioned, though, "a criminal complaint is merely an allegation that a defendant has committed one or more violations of federal criminal law, and every defendant is presumed innocent unless, and until, proven guilty."According to ABC affiliate WFTV in Orlando, Barrett was already on probation and wearing a court-ordered GPS monitor for a number of felony offenses, including kidnapping, multiple counts of sexual battery with a weapon or force and grand theft.It is unclear if Barrett has a lawyer.At close of business on Thursday, Target shares were trading at $65.20 a share, according to NASDAQ.Copyrigh
    Read more...
  • Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(PROVIDENCE, R.I.) — Nobody ever wanted to be the thimble anyway, but Monopoly is doing away with the thimble game piece.The Providence Journal reports that the Rhode Island-based Hasbro, which makes the famous board game, is removing the thimble as a player token.Voting was held online in a contest that attracted more than 4 million voters from around the world to determine the tokens for an updated version of the legendary board game. The thimble had been part of the game since it was introduced in 1935.  In 2013, after an online vote, Hasbro replaced the iron with the cat.The car, battleship, hat, boot, wheelbarrow, Scottie dog and cat will remain in the game. Among the possible new tokens are a hashtag, penguin, rubber duck, a TV, a watch and an emoji of Mr. Monopoly.Hasbro will reveal the final results on World Monopoly Day, March 19. The winning eight tokens, chosen by fans, will be included in the updated Monopoly in August.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — Jobless claims climbed higher last week, increasing by 5,000, according to the latest figures released Thursday by the Labor Department.For the week ending Feb. 11, the number of people filing for benefits jumped from an unrevised level of 234,000 the previous week to 239,000.The Labor Department said there were no "special factors" impacting that week's figures.The four-week moving average also increased by 500 to 245,250.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Wesley Mann/FOX News via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office is conducting a criminal investigation into Fox News, an attorney involved and sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.Judd Burstein, an attorney representing former Fox News personality Andrea Tantaros, said during a hearing Wednesday that one of his clients had received a subpoena to testify before a federal grand jury investigating the use of corporate resources in connection with sexual harassment allegations against former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes and his former employer, Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox.Burstein said the subpoena didn't involve Tantaros but a different, unspecified, client.A spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara declined to comment.Fox News responded to the news, saying in a statement, “Neither Fox News nor 21st Century Fox has received a subpoena but we have been in communication with the U.S. Attorney’s office for months — we have and will continue to cooperate on all inquiries with interested authorities.” Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Photodisc/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — How much money does Valentine's Day cost?Total spending for the holiday is expected to top $18.2 billion, according to the National Retail Federation. That's an average of $136.57 per person.As you head out to buy candy, cards or flowers Tuesday, here's a closer look at this year's Valentine's Day by the numbers.Just over half of Americans — 54 percent — are expected to celebrate the holiday this year, the NRF said.Jewelry is the most popular Valentine's Day gift: 20 percent of consumers are expected to buy jewelry, spending a total of $4.3 billion, the NRF said.Loved ones are also expected to spend $2 billion on flowers, according to the NRF. The most popular Valentine's Day flowers are, naturally, roses; 250 million roses are produced for the holiday, the Society of American Florists said.Don't forget chocolate and candy — $1.7 billion is spent on candy alone, the NRF said.But nothing can replace love letters. Couples will exchange 190 million greeting cards during Valentine's Day, according to the NRF. Americans are expected to spend $1 billion on cards, according to the Greeting Card Association.Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...