• iStock/Thinkstock(HOBOKEN, N.J.) -- Some New Jersey trick-or-treaters can get cash for their candy this Halloween."Candy Buy-Back" is the brainchild of Lucas Dental Associates in Hoboken, New Jersey, where kids can bring their bags of Halloween candy in exchange for $5 and, of course, a toothbrush.Dr. Robin Lucas got the idea about five years ago, as she was trying to promote dental hygiene around the sugar-filled holiday for her own children, she told ABC News."Personally, I'm not a candy fan," Lucas said. "So when my kids go trick-or-treating, they come home and they have to dump it. It's like you want to do something with it."The cosmetic and restorative dentist couldn't put her idea into practice until two years ago when she expanded her practice to include pediatric dentistry. Initially, the "Candy Buy-Back" program was only for her patient pool, she said, noting that in previous years she has given out more than $500.Now, she's opening it up to her local community.Meliza Resto, who's worked at the practice for nine years, told ABC News it's one of her favorite times of year. Indeed, she dresses up to hand the kids goodie bags containing $5, a toothbrush and toothpaste."They're all excited because they're going to get $5 and to them $5 is a lot of money," she added. "Who thought they were going to be happy about not eating candy!"In previous years, Resto said, they've been able to collect 10 boxes worth of candy. It is then donated to different branches of the military.Dr. Lucas said she hopes her program will encourage parents and kids to have conversations about sugar and their teeth."I’m hoping that parents and kids ... [discuss] that sugar is harmful if it’s not managed well," she added.
    Read more...
  • Franco Origlia/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- Director James Toback is being accused of sexual harassment by 38 women, according to a report in The Los Angeles Times.ABC News reached out to a rep for Toback, but didn't immediately hear back.Toback denied the numerous allegations to the Times, "saying that he had never met any of these women," or if he did it "was for five minutes and have no recollection." He added, according to the Times, that the women's allegations were "biologically impossible" due to medical conditions, such as diabetes and a heart condition that required medication.According to the accounts in the Times, dozens of women accused Toback of meeting them, often promising them dreams of turning them into stars.Toback, although relatively unknown outside of the film industry, is a New York native. In 1974, he produced his first screenplay, "The Gambler," starring James Caan, based off of his own life. The film was later remade in 2014, with Mark Wahlberg and Brie Larson.His credits also include "The Pick Up Artist," starring Robert Downey Jr. and Molly Ringwald, along with "Two Girls and a Guy," also starring Downey, and "Harvard Man," in which Sarah Michelle Gellar starred. Toback's latest film, "The Private Life of a Modern Woman," starring Alec Baldwin and Sienna Miller, debuted at the Venice Film Festival earlier this year.The Times reported 31 of the 38 women provided their accounts on the record. Here are some of the women's claims:Several women detail claims of sexual harassment, sexual assault and intimidationAdrienne LaValleyThe "Quantico" actress claimed she had a 2008 encounter with Toback, in which the director allegedly attempted to rub up against her leg. “I felt like a prostitute," she told the newspaper, "an utter disappointment to myself, my parents, my friends. And I deserved not to tell anyone.”After the report was published Sunday, LaValley tweeted: "I'm one of them ... f--- you James Toback. And everyone like him."Starr RinaldiThe aspiring actress claimed she met Toback almost 15 years ago in New York's Central Park. “He always wanted me to read for him in a hotel or come back to his apartment, like, ‘How serious are you about your craft?’” she told the Times.Rinaldi tweeted, after the report broke, "btw. i was never alone with him, i was sexual harassed by him...i told him to F--- OFF."Louise PostThe alternative rock singer and guitarist told the newspaper she met Toback in 1987 while attending Barnard College in New York City, and claimed she was shocked by his sexual remarks.“Going to his apartment has been the source of shame for the past 30 years, that I allowed myself to be so gullible," she told the newspaper.Before the report broke, Post's band, Veruca Salt, tweeted: "Us too: by bosses, boyfriends, male babysitters, taxi drivers, strangers and movie director/pig #jamestoback #metoo."Karen SklaireThe actress, playwright and drama teacher told the Times she was sexually assaulted by Toback in 1997 when he allegedly rubbed himself against her leg during an office meeting. "It’s a common thread among many women I know ... after someone mentions they were sexually abused by a creepy writer-director, the response is, ‘Oh, no. You got Toback-ed,’” she told the paper.Anna ScottThe radio reporter claimed she met Toback while she just 18 years old at Manhattan’s Hunter College High School. After the two met at a deli, Toback later invited her to a taping of the "Charlie Rose" show, Scott said. Scott claimed after the taping, while the two spoke and walked around New York, the conversation turned sexual."It was disgusting and embarrassing. I tried to extricate myself from it without causing a scene," she told the paper.Scott said she eventually left.Echo DanonThe "Black and White" actress claimed Toback put his hands on her thighs and said sexually expressive remarks. “Everyone wants to work, so they put up with it,&r
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The holidays are coming up fast, but it’s not too late to score some big savings on travel. FareCompare CEO Rick Seaney said that if you want some of the “cheapest airfare prices of the year,” pick those off-peak times before Thanksgiving and Christmas. That’s “roughly the first two weeks of November, and the first two weeks of December,” Seaney said.But don’t wait to buy -- those ticket deals are available now for both domestic and international travel.Why are deal zone fares so cheap? Seaney said it’s down to supply and demand. “Most people don’t want to fly during the deal zones. They want to fly at Thanksgiving or Christmas or Hanukkah or New Year’s,” Seaney said. “Because of the steep demand for travel during these holidays, prices rise steeply, too. They then plunge when travel slacks off as it does in early November and early December.”If you’re looking for warm temperatures and sunny skies, this deal might not be for you. But for many, the advantages outweigh the need to bundle up.“If all you care about is savings, well, it doesn’t get much better than this,” Seaney said. “There are other advantages, too: smaller (or nonexistent) crowds, which means easier access to major attractions and even restaurants. Plus, there are shorter lines at airport security and, in some hotels, cheaper room prices.”If the timing just doesn’t work for you, though, don’t worry. Seaney said the next deal zone is just around the corner in January. Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
    Read more...
  • Courtesy Goodies Not Guns(CHAPEL HILL, N.C.) -- One couple wants families to think twice about having their kids dress up in violent and bloody Halloween costumes.Amanda Hanig and Jordon Gillis, who've been together for 17 years and have two children, told ABC News they created Goodies Not Guns to encourage children to wear, instead, nonviolent costumes when celebrating the spooky holiday.The couple said they came up with the idea about three weeks ago while sitting on their porch in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, talking about the recent mass shooting in Las Vegas.Stephen Paddock opened fire on the crowd at a Las Vegas music festival earlier this month, killing nearly 60 people and injuring more than 500."We just felt so powerless as citizens and as parents," Hanig, 40, said. "There's so much violence in the world, and you read about gun control ... but it isn't enough. Maybe we have to do more than that."With Halloween approaching, Hanig said they created Goodies Not Guns "as a way of taking some of the power back and making immediate changes.""It was a simple thing that we could do," Gillis, 41, said. "And [we figured] maybe other people would like to help out."Thayer Lavielle is one mother of three who will be joining Goodies Not Guns in its inaugural year. Her three children, ranging in age from 9 to 13, are dressing up this year as an arctic princess, a ghoul "and a 13-year-old cranky teenager," she said."We live in the South where hunting and fishing is more prevalent," the Cary, North Carolina, mother said. "It's our [Second] Amendment right to bear arms and to have a weapon. I don't think anyone is arguing that...but if you're going as a soldier as a 7-year-old, you don't necessarily need to have an AK47 strapped to your back."Lavielle, 46, added that she's joining to encourage other parents to "stop and think sometimes about the choices they make and how that can be perceived by others."Goodies Not Guns has already received support from Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, a school district in North Carolina with 12,000 students.
    Read more...
  • iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Move over, kids! The dogs had their day to show off their Halloween costumes at the 27th annual Tompkins Square Halloween Dog Parade in New York City.Nearly 10,000 dog lovers came out to Tompkins Square Park on Saturday, home to the city's first official dog run, to see pooches dressed up as New York landmarks, including the Statue of Liberty, the red sightseeing buses, and the Staten Island Ferry.Other dogs wore costumes without a New York theme, such as dressing up as a lion, a kissing booth and even one dog who remained in his cell, with a sign that read, "Pawshank Redemption," paying homage to the hit 1994 film, "Shawshank Redemption."The dogs and their Halloween-loving owners were there to compete "for thousands of dollars in prizes," according to the parade's website.Dog trainer Garrett Rosso, who created the Halloween parade, told the podcast Animal Instinct ahead of the parade that they plan to "give out at least 10 prizes."Along with awarding prizes, this year's parade collected items to donate for hurricane relief, according to the parade's Facebook page.And one dog even dressed up as a donation, with a roll of toilet paper around his neck with the words "hurricane relief" on them.
    Read more...
  • Drew Angerer/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) -- The Los Angeles Police Department’s Robbery Homicide Division says it has interviewed a potential victim of a 2013 sexual assault allegedly involving Harvey Weinstein, as the woman's attorney held a news conference on Friday to discuss the investigation.David Ring said his client, an Italian actress, spoke briefly with Weinstein at a Los Angeles-based film festival in February 2013, and later in the evening, the producer allegedly "bullied his way into her [hotel] room.""Her greatest regret is opening that door. She had no idea what was coming,” he said of the allegation. “What happened to her was really horrible. It’s had a humongous, huge impact on her life."Ring declined to identify his client or discuss specifics of the case, except to say that it is under investigation by the LAPD. He added that it was "premature" to discuss a potential civil lawsuit against Weinstein.New York Police Department Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce Thursday said New York City police have referred allegations against the disgraced film mogul to other police departments, though it was unclear whether the LAPD investigation pertained to one of those cases.The referrals were made to jurisdictions in the United States and overseas based on calls to a police hotline about Weinstein, Boyce added.Police declined to discuss specifics.“Several calls have been received on our CrimeStoppers Hotline regarding Mr. Weinstein,” Boyce said. “None of those calls have alleged any criminal conduct within the New York City area.”Complaints about Weinstein cannot be pursued locally if they involve events that occurred outside New York City.More than three dozen women have accused Weinstein of sexual misconduct, including harassment and assault, but he has not been charged with a crime.The movie producer has acknowledged inappropriate behavior, but has "unequivocally denied" any allegations of non-consensual sex, his spokesman said.Weinstein, 65, was terminated by the Weinstein Co. in the wake of the allegations, though he later offered his resignation. ABC News confirmed that he is also pursuing a claim that he was wrongfully fired.In addition, he was expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and the Producers Guild of America has voted to begin termination proceedings against him. A final determination will be reached next month. On Thursday the board of British Film Institute voted to strip Weinstein of its prestigious BFI Fellowship honor, which he was awarded in 2002."Sexual harassment, abuse and bullying is unacceptable under any circumstances. Everyone working in the film industry – in any industry – should be safe and respected in the workplace. We wholeheartedly support those brave enough to come forward and speak out," the board said in a statement. "The film industry needs more women represented on every level, on and off screen."
    Read more...