Why wait until March for the madness?... Spartans rebound from loss in GermanyUNDATED (AP) --Duke and Kentucky, two of college basketball premier programs which have won 11 national titles, tangled in a rare November matchup at the Georgia Dome. Both teams hope to return there next spring when that arena hosts the Final Four.
On this night, the ninth-ranked Blue Devils beat third-ranked Kentucky 75-68 behind Seth Curry's 23 points. The Blue Devils ripped off a 13-3 run, capped by Rasheed Sulaimon's 3-pointer that made it 58-44 with 9 1/2 minutes remaining. Kentucky then outscored Duke 17-6 over the next six minutes to come within three. But Duke hung on to win the first meeting of these storied teams since 2001.
In other AP Top-25 action:
- Michigan State's basketball team opened the season by traveling to Germany only to lose to an unranked Connecticut team. Tom Izzo's team opened its stateside schedule by upsetting seventh-ranked Kansas 67-64. Keith Appling scored 19 points for the 21st-ranked Spartans. Freshman Gary Harris added 18.
- Tim Hardaway Jr. had 17 points and six rebounds, and No. 5 Michigan advanced to the semifinals of the NIT Season Tip-Off with a 77-47 victory over Cleveland State.
-- The 13th-ranked UCLA Bruins nipped UC-Irvine 80-79 in overtime. Jordan Adams came off the bench and scored 26 for the Bruins, including 16-of-16 from the free throw line.
-- No. 14 Missouri clocked Alcorn State 91-54. Phil Pressey led four Tigers in double figures with 21.
- Shabazz Napier scored 13 points and freshman Omar Calhoun added 12 to lead No. 23 Connecticut to a 67-49 win over Vermont.
- Sean Kilpatrick scored 13 of his 20 points in the second half and in leading the 24th-ranked Bearcats to a 102-60 victory over Mississippi Valley State.
-- Jamaal Franklin scored 19 of his 28 points in the first half and had 12 rebounds as No. 25 San Diego State bounced back from a 13-point loss to No. 8 Syracuse by routing San Diego Christian 91-57 in their home opener.
See other NationalSports news:Keselowski Overtakes Earnhardt on Final Lap to Win in Vegas
(2) Wichita State Improves to 34-0, Wins Missouri Valley Tournament
Jets Cut Cromartie
Maryland Sinks (5) Virginia to Win its Final Regular-Season ACC Game
Scoreboard Roundup - 3/9/14