Three Top Six Teams Fall in College Basketball Play
Cody Zeller scored 19 points and Victor Oladipo had 15 in, leading the Hoosiers to the victory that might regain them the top spot in the new AP rankings. It's the third time in school history that the Hoosiers have beaten the No. 1 team at home, and the first time they've done it in back-to-back seasons. The win gives Indiana a five-game winning streak, sole possession of the Big Ten lead and likely the top spot in the country again when Monday's rankings come out.
Elsewhere around the Top 25:
- Kansas, the second-ranked team in the AP poll, was upset by Oklahoma State 85-80. The loss drops the Jayhawks to 19-2 and 7-1 in the Big 12. Markel Brown Smart led Oklahoma State with 28 points, while Ben McLemore had 23 for Kansas.
- Erik Murphy scored 19 points on 7 of 8 shooting from the field in helping No. 4 Florida beat 16th-ranked Mississippi 78-64. - Fifth-ranked Duke raced out to an 18-2 lead and cruised to a 79-60 victory over defending ACC champion Florida State. Seth Curry was high man for the Blue Devils with 21 points while teammate Quinn Cook chipped in with 18 points. It is Duke's 19th win in 21 games this season.
- Sixth-ranked Syracuse has lost back to back for the first time in nearly two years. The Orange dropped a 65-55 decision at Pittsburgh, falling to 18-3. The Panthers improve to 13-1 against teams ranked in the Top 10 since the Petersen Events Center opened a decade ago. Pitt is 18-5 on the season.
- Ninth-ranked Butler bounced back from a loss earlier in the week to beast Rhode Island, 75-68. Rotnei Clarke scored 23 points and Roosevelt Jones added 18 for the Bulldogs.
- Justin Cobbs made an 18-foot jumper with 1:35 remaining then added a pair of free throws and California hung on to beat No. 10 Oregon 58-54. That's the Ducks' second straight loss to an unranked team this week.
- Lenzelle Smith Jr. had 21 points and No. 11 Ohio State held off a late Nebraska surge for a 63-56 victory.
- Reggie Johnson tipped in a missed shot with 0.8 seconds left to help No. 14 Miami edge No. 19 North Carolina State 79-78. Durand Scott led Miami with 18 points and Julian Gamble added 16 to help the Hurricanes win their ninth straight game.
- Anthony James scored 16 points and Northern Iowa beat No. 15 Wichita State 57-52, sending the Shockers to their first losing streak of the season.
- Earnest Ross scored 23 points in his first game against his old school and No. 17 Missouri hammered Auburn 91-77. Ross played two seasons for Auburn, leading the team with 13.1 points and 6.6 rebounds per game. Keion Bell had a game-high 24 points for the winners, who improve to 16-5.
-Angel Rodriguez hit two free throws with 5.6 seconds remaining to give No. 18 Kansas State a 52-50 victory over Oklahoma. - Chad Adams hit two 3-pointers during a key second-half run to spur No. 20 New Mexico to a 75-62 victory over Nevada.
- Creighton improves to 20-3 with a 75-58 victory over Bradley. Doug McDermott's 25 points led the 21st-ranked Blue Jays, who have won 20 games for the 14th time in 15 seasons.
- Michael Lyons scored 20 points and Air Force shot down 22nd-ranked San Diego State 70-67. The Aztecs got 25 points and 10 rebounds from star guard Jamal Franklin, but still drop to 16-5.
- No. 24 Cincinnati blew most of a 20-point second-half lead before settling for a 65-59 victory over Seton Hall. Sean Kilpatrick led the Bearcats to their 18th win in 22 games with a 21-point performance.
For more details as well as additional stories and photos, please go to our NCAA College Basketball Page.
See other NationalSports news:Raptors knot things up against Cavs
Sharks taking 3-2 series lead back to San Jose
Streaking Mets gain ground on Nats...Pujols moving up...Cueto and Kershaw both throw 2-hitters
Patriots QB to appeal
Congressman charges NFL with wrongdoing