Locker and Polamalu to miss Thursday night tussle...RGIII OK...Cassel out
Munchak also said Monday that backup running back Javon Ringer will miss four to six weeks after spraining his left knee in yesterday's loss to Minnesota.
Munchak says Locker is improving but Matt Hasselbeck will get his second straight start due to the short week. Locker will not be active.
In other NFL news:
- Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu will miss Thursday's game against Tennessee after aggravating his strained right calf. And linebacker LaMarr Woodley is doubtful with a mild right hamstring injury.
- The Kansas City Chiefs are down to their backup quarterback for the second year in a row. Matt Cassel sustained a concussion in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game against Baltimore and is unlikely to play in next weekend's game at Tampa Bay, which means Brady Quinn is preparing to start an NFL game for the first time in nearly three years.
- Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan says "right now it looks good" that Robert Griffin III will be able to play Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings. Shanahan says his prized rookie quarterback is experiencing no dizziness, headaches or vomiting a day after suffering a concussion in a loss to Atlanta.
- Minnesota Vikings strong safety Harrison Smith won't be punished further for his shove of an official that drew a 15-yard penalty and automatic ejection from Sunday's game against Tennessee. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello says Smith's disqualification from the majority of the game was a "significant penalty."
- Wes Welker told reporters he was only joking when he said after Sunday's game that he enjoyed catching 13 passes against the Denver Broncos to "stick it" in coach Bill Belichick's face. Welker made a rare Monday appearance in the locker room during media availability to straighten things out. Welker did not start the season opener after unsuccessful negotiations on a long-term deal, leading to speculation that Belichick was upset with him over the negotiations.
See other NationalSports news:New Gatorade Campaign Celebrates Peyton Manning Through Letters He Wrote
Nintendo to Sell Most of Its Stake in Seattle Mariners in Ownership Shakeup
NCAA: North Carolina Must Prove It Is A Discrimination-Free Zone or Risk Losing Tournament Games
NHL Hall of Famer Sends Message to Man Whose Live-Tweet of Hockey Game Goes Viral
HL Hall of Famer Sends Message to Man Whose Live-Tweet of Hockey Game Goes Viral