Journeyman sets MLB pitching mark...Angels lead A's by 2 games
Petit got the first eight Colorado hitters, establishing the mark by striking out Charlie Culberson. That broke Mark Buehrle's record of 45 straight with the Chicago White Sox in 2009.
Petit's streak covered eight games, six of them in relief. He also surpassed Jim Barr's NL record of 41 in a row with the Giants in 1972.
Petit, a 29-year-old journeyman from Venezuela, fell one strike short of a perfect game against Arizona last September. Almost a year later, he carved out his own slice of baseball history.
- The L.A. Angels lead Oakland by two games atop the AL West after rallying with a run in the bottom of the 10th last night to beat the Athletics 4-3. Howie Kendrick delivered a sacrifice fly that scored Albert Pujols with the winning run. It's the sixth walkoff RBI that Kenrick has delivered in his career.
- Mike Minor took a two-hit shutout into the eighth inning after hitting a double and single himself in leading the Atlanta Braves over the New York Mets 6-1.
- Baltimore nipped Tampa Bay 5-4. J.J. Hardy had two hits, including the go-ahead RBI single in the seventh. The Orioles took three of four from the Rays.
- Alex Avila hit an RBI single with two out in the bottom of the ninth, giving the Detroit Tigers a 3-2 victory over the New York Yankees. The victory moved Detroit into a tie with idle Seattle for the second wildcard spot in the American League.
- Billy Hamilton stole his 51st base and the Cincinnati Reds swiped six in all, in a 7-2 win over the Chicago Cubs. Zack Cozart and Todd Frazier each stole twice, and Kristopher Negron added one more.
- Jordan Schafer tied a career high with four RBIs, including a two-run single in the 10th inning as the Minnesota Twins defeated the Kansas City Royals 11-5.
- Michael Bourn had two triples among his three hits, leading the Cleveland Indians to a 3-2 victory over the Chicago White Sox.
-- Jason Castro hit a grand slam, Collin McHugh threw seven solid innings and the Houston Astros beat the Texas Rangers 4-2.
See other NationalSports news:Atlanta Hawks' Thabo Sefolosha Acquitted of All Charges
Adrian Beltre to Miss Game 2 of ALDS After Straining Back
Seattle Mariners Won't Bring Back Manager Lloyd McClendon
Sprint Cup Series Visits Charlotte for Start of Chase's ‘Contender Round’
Scoreboard Roundup — 10/8/15