Jays welcome back GibbonsTORONTO (AP) - John Gibbons has been hired for his second stint as manager of the Toronto Blue Jays, who also finalized their two-year, $16 million contract with outfielder Melky Cabrera.
Gibbons managed Toronto from 2004-08 and had a 305-305 record, making him the third-winningest manager in franchise history. He succeeds John Farrell, who left the Blue Jays to become Boston's new skipper.
Cabrera was leading the National League in hitting with San Francisco last season when he received a 50-game suspension for a positive test for testosterone. The Giants let him leave after he finished with a .346 average, 11 homers, 25 doubles and 60 RBIs in 113 games.
Checking out the rest of the majors:
- Hiroki Kuroda is staying with the New York Yankees, agreeing to a $15 million, one-year contract. Kuroda posted a 3.32 ERA and led the Yankees with 33 starts and 219 2/3 innings while tying CC Sabathia for the club lead with 16 wins.
- Free agent reliever Joel Peralta has finalized a $6 million, two-year contract that keeps him with the Tampa Bay Rays. The 36-year-old right-hander went 2-6 with a 3.63 ERA in 76 appearances last season.
- The Royals have re-signed right-hander Jeremy Guthrie to a $25 million, three-year deal. Guthrie went 5-3 with a 3.16 ERA in 14 starts for the Royals last season after being traded by the Rockies, where he was 3-9 with a 6.35 earned run average.
- The Chicago Cubs say they have designated first baseman Bryan LaHair for assignment because he and the club are pursuing an opportunity for him in Japan. LaHair was an All-Star last season before finishing the year with a .259 average, 16 home runs and 40 RBIs in 130 games.
- Seattle has acquired versatile Robert Andino from Baltimore in exchange for reserve outfielder Trayvon Robinson.
- And the Colorado Rockies have traded left-handed pitcher Matt Reynolds to the Arizona Diamondbacks for corner infielder Ryan Wheeler.
See other NationalSports news:Report: Adidas Offers James Harden $200M Endorsement Deal
Gisele Bundchen Wishes Tom Brady Happy Birthday in Instagram Post
Buffalo Bills Suspend Offensive Line Coach Aaron Kromer
Cubs beat Brewers 4-3 to finish 4-game sweep; Bryant hurt
Yankees rough up Samardzija, beat White Sox 12-3