Ducks fall...Wings get a key win
Colin Wilson and Mike Fisher each scored twice in the Predators' 5-2 victory at Anaheim. Fisher notched the first two goals before Fisher put Nashville ahead 3-0 just 14 minutes into the game.
The Detroit Red Wings have more leg room in the Eastern Conference race. Darren Helm, Tomas Jurco and Daniel Aldredsson scored during a 10-minute span of the first period to give the Red Wings a 3-0 lead in a 3-2 triumph against Buffalo. Jurco and Aldredsson scored 76 seconds apart to put the Wings ahead by three.
The win leaves Detroit three points ahead of Columbus for seventh in the East. The Blue Jackets remain one point in front of ninth-place Toronto, and Washington is still four points back.
Also on ice:
- Ryan Carter scored the tiebreaking goal with 4:54 left to give New Jersey a 2-1 win over the Capitals. Cory Schneider stopped 24 shots as the Devils dealt the Caps their fifth straight loss and pulled within three points of the Jackets for the last conference playoff berth.
- Ben Smith's goal with just four seconds left in regulation lifted Chicago over Columbus 4-3. Patrick Sharp finished with a goal and an assist, while Duncan Keith set up three Blackhawks tallies.
- Max Pacioretty had three goals and five points in the Canadiens' 7-4 comeback win at Ottawa. Montreal fell behind 3-0 after just six minutes before erupting for seven unanswered goals.
- Sam Gagner scored with 41 seconds left in regulation before netting the lone shootout goal in Edmonton's 3-2 win at Phoenix. The Coyotes picked up a point and moved one ahead of Dallas for the final Western Conference playoff berth.
- Mike Cammalleri supplied the game-winner and Joey MacDonald turned back 24 shots as Calgary nipped Florida 2-1.
Leafs lose goalie
TORONTO (AP) - The Toronto Maple Leafs will spend three weeks without goaltender Jonathan Bernier due to a knee injury suffered in the third period of last night's 4-3 overtime win against Boston. Bernier was making his fifth straight start since returning from a lower body injury that kept him out five games. The injury is a huge blow to the Maple Leafs' postseason chances as they try to catch Columbus for the final Eastern Conference playoff berth.
See other NationalSports news:Big day for Piazza and Griffey Jr.
White Sox not on Sale for 5 days
IOC punts on Russians
Weekend sweep for Kyle Busch at the Brickyard
Crash Involving Dallas Cowboys Bus Kills Four in Arizona