Darvish likely going on DL...Nats add pinch-hitter extraordinaireUNDATED (AP) - The Texas Rangers have been told by doctors that ace pitcher Yu Darvish has no structural damage in his stiff neck. Still, the club will most likely place Darvish on the disabled list to start the season. Darvish led the majors in strikeouts last season.
In other spring training items:
- Utilityman Kevin Frandsen signed a $900,000, one-year contract with the Washington Nationals, who optioned infielder-outfielder Jeff Kobernus to Triple-A Syracuse and catcher Sandy Leon to Double-A Harrisburg. The 32-year-old Frandsen, who led the NL with 14 pinch-hits last season, chose to become a free agent after being optioned to the minors by Philadelphia last weekend.
-- NL Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw will miss his scheduled start for the Los Angeles Dodgers against the San Diego Padres his weekend because of an inflamed back muscle.
- Kansas City Royals closer Louis Coleman will probably start the season on the disabled list because of a bone bruise on his right middle finger.
- Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro says he'll open the season on the disabled list with back problems that have bothered him for most of the spring.
- The Los Angeles Angels have granted right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton his unconditional release. The club will have to pay Blanton $8.5 million. The 33-year-old struggled in spring training after going 2-14 last year.
- Carlos Carraso has been named part of the Cleveland pitching rotation. He edged out Josh Tomlin for the fifth spot.
-Pittsburgh and left fielder Starling Marte (MAHR'-tay) have worked out terms on a six-year contract. Marte hit .280 with 12 home runs, 35 RBIs and a team-high 41 steals during his first full season in the majors in 2013.
- Forbes magazine ranks the New York Yankees as the most valuable team in Major League Baseball, with a value of $2.5 billion. That's an increase of nine per cent over last year. The only other team worth over two billion bucks is the Los Angeles Dodgers, at an even $2 billion.
See other NationalSports news:Matt Ryan Says Falcons Know 'What Time of the Year It Is'
Ravens Preparing for 'Physical' Game Against Texans
Philip Rivers Expects the 49ers Best
Reports: Royals to Sign SP Edinson Volquez
Report: Bears to Start Clausen Against Lions