Darvish likely going on DL...Nats add pinch-hitter extraordinaire
In other spring training items:
- Utilityman Kevin Frandsen signed a $900,000, one-year contract with the Washington Nationals, who optioned infielder-outfielder Jeff Kobernus to Triple-A Syracuse and catcher Sandy Leon to Double-A Harrisburg. The 32-year-old Frandsen, who led the NL with 14 pinch-hits last season, chose to become a free agent after being optioned to the minors by Philadelphia last weekend.
-- NL Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw will miss his scheduled start for the Los Angeles Dodgers against the San Diego Padres his weekend because of an inflamed back muscle.
- Kansas City Royals closer Louis Coleman will probably start the season on the disabled list because of a bone bruise on his right middle finger.
- Giants second baseman Marco Scutaro says he'll open the season on the disabled list with back problems that have bothered him for most of the spring.
- The Los Angeles Angels have granted right-handed pitcher Joe Blanton his unconditional release. The club will have to pay Blanton $8.5 million. The 33-year-old struggled in spring training after going 2-14 last year.
- Carlos Carraso has been named part of the Cleveland pitching rotation. He edged out Josh Tomlin for the fifth spot.
-Pittsburgh and left fielder Starling Marte (MAHR'-tay) have worked out terms on a six-year contract. Marte hit .280 with 12 home runs, 35 RBIs and a team-high 41 steals during his first full season in the majors in 2013.
- Forbes magazine ranks the New York Yankees as the most valuable team in Major League Baseball, with a value of $2.5 billion. That's an increase of nine per cent over last year. The only other team worth over two billion bucks is the Los Angeles Dodgers, at an even $2 billion.
See other NationalSports news:Scoreboard Roundup — 11/30/15
Kobe Bryant's Career Highlights
Swimming Record-Holder Reece Whitley Named "Sports Illustrated" SportsKid of the Year 2015
Is Patriots’ Dont’a Hightower on the Injured List?
Seahawks Tight End Jimmy Graham Out for Rest of Season