Dario Franchitti Forced to Retire from Racing
(NEW YORK) -- One of the most successful IndyCar drivers in recent memory, Dario Franchitti, will retire from racing on the advice of his doctors.
A three-time Indianapolis 500 winner, Franchitti was advised to walk away from racing as a result of injuries he suffered in a crash last month.
Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle, and suffered a concussion back on Oct. 6 at the IndyCar race in Houston. He needed to undergo two surgeries to help repair the injuries.
"One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice from the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post-accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing," Franchitti said. "They made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long-term well being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop."
The 40-year old Franchitti was the 10th-ranked IndyCar driver this past season.
He will retire with 21 wins in his ten-year career.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
See other NationalSports news:Novak Djokovic No. 1 Seed at US Open
Tiger Woods Says He Needs a Month or Two to Get Back into Shape
Browns Name Brian Hoyer Starter over Manziel
Nats capture eighth in row...Athletics end five-game slide
Coach K done talking about Durant...Cavs add Drew as coach