Boston Mayor Promises Tighter Security for Fun and Safe 2014 Marathon
(BOSTON) -- The Boston Marathon isn't until late April, but city officials already are promising heightened security ahead of the race. Mayor Martin Walsh Thursday announced a no-bag policy during this year's event after two pressure cooker bombs stuffed in backpacks last year killed three people and injured more than 250. The mayor promised organizers won't miss a beat this time around.
"We suffered a terrible tragedy last year, and we're going to take care and honor the victims, the survivors, and the heroes of that time. But Boston is a resilient city, and we're not going to miss a beat," Walsh said Thursday.
"All of [the organizers] have experienced the event of last year. They're personally committed to giving extra level of planning to this year's events that it requires," he said.
He added that officials are committed to keeping the race fun and safe.
"This is Boston and this is our marathon, and it always has been; and it always will be," he said.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio
See other NationalNews news:Ebola Patient's Texas Contacts Zoom to 80, Authorities Say
Patient Placed in Isolation in Hawaii over Ebola Concerns
Teachers Accused of Three-way Tryst with Student, 16
Sandy Hook School Receives Bomb Threat
Man Accused in Oklahoma Beheading Set to Be Released from Hospital