Quantcast
WJBD - National News

WJBD Radio

Images

 

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation/California State Prison/Los Angeles County(ACTON, Calif.) -- A group of inmates at a California state prison are providing shelter, care and love for dozens of deaf dogs that were recently forced to evacuate a nearby shelter threatened by a wildfire.

Nearly 50 dogs at the Deaf Dogs Rescue of America in Acton, California, were evacuated this past Sunday evening after the shelter's directors -- Lisa Tipton and her husband Mark Tipton -- noticed flames from the Sand Fire blowing in their direction.

"We're pretty high up on a hill and we didn't want to take a chance on floating embers 'cause all it takes is one to light this whole place up," Lisa Tipton told ABC News Friday. She said she called dozens of local centers, shelters and other rescues, but only the California State Prison in Los Angeles County offered to take all the dogs, no questions asked.

The state prison -- which is located in Lancaster, California -- has group of inmates involved with a program called Paws 4 Life, which matches inmates with dogs from county shelters that are at high risk for euthanization, according to Kristina Khokobashvili, a public information officer for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

The inmates take in the dogs and work with professional trainers to socialize them, teach them basic obedience and ultimately help them pass the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen test, Khokobashvili told ABC News Friday. Dogs that pass the test get a certificate showing that they know basic commands and how to interact peacefully with others -- thus increasing their chances of adoption.

More than 70 dogs taken in by the prison's inmates have been successfully adopted out to forever homes in the two years since Paws 4 Life's inception, Khokobashvili said.

And so when Lisa Tipton brought nearly 50 of her rescue dogs to the jail Sunday night, she said she knew "they were in good hands."

"When we came by the next morning, every single dog had a smile on their face and was enjoying themselves," Tipton said. "Even the pretty difficult dogs I thought would get snappy were thriving."

Tipton credited the inmates' genuine joy and care as the reason for why the pups adjusted so well despite such a stressful situation.

Inmate David Dougall told ABC-owned station KABC-TV that interacting with the dogs and other people involved with program "gives me life again" and "gives me my spirit back."

Jon Grobman, another inmate, said that "Paws 4 Life restored my faith in humanity -- that I'm a person, that I matter."

He added, "It gave me the opportunity to care for something, love something."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


iStock/Thinkstock(SAN DIEGO) -- A suspect has been charged and another potential suspect is in custody in a "gut-wrenching" shooting in San Diego that left one officer dead and another injured, police said.

Jesse Michael Gomez, 52, was charged with murder and attempted in the shooting, police said. The circumstances were not immediately clear.

Another potential suspect, whose name ABC News is wittholding because he has not been charged, was located for an outstanding warrant. It wasn't determined if he was connected to the shooting or not.

It was also not clear if there were additional suspects.

The shooting happened Thursday night after two officers, both assigned to the gang unit, made a stop around 11 p.m. local time. The officers called for emergency cover and were shot multiple times, police said.

The incident happened "very quickly," San Diego Police Chief Shelley Zimmerman said, adding that it was unclear if the officers had been targeted.

The officers were wearing bulletproof vests and body cameras, she said.

The slain officer, Jonathan DeGuzman, a husband and father of two, was a 16-year police veteran. Zimmerman said he lost his life trying to make a positive difference and protect his community.

The injured officer, Wade Irwin, also a husband and father, is a 9-year veteran. He was hospitalized for surgery. Irwin was expected to make a full recovery, police said.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- The FBI is investigating the cybertheft of proprietary information collected by Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign, but the campaign says no internal computer systems were hacked.

The investigation comes on the heels of two other FBI investigations into hacking of the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

As news surfaced of a potential hack into campaign computers, a campaign spokesman issued a statement late Friday saying, "An analytics data program maintained by the DNC, and used by our campaign and a number of other entities, was accessed as part of the DNC hack."

The campaign's computer system "has been under review by outside cyber security experts," and so far "they have found no evidence that our internal systems have been compromised," the spokesman said.

The Clinton campaign shares some of its proprietary information -- such as voter data -- with the DNC, and that information was compromised, a campaign official told ABC News.

"Anytime there is hacking like that and release of proprietary information, it is a crime," CIA Director John Brennan said Friday of the DNC hack. "Who is responsible for what happened there, I think, is to be determined."

Nevertheless, government sources privately suspect Russian hackers are behind the cyber attacks on Democratic organizations.

Speaking at the annual Aspen Security Forum in Aspen, Colorado, Brennan vowed that when the U.S. intelligence and law enforcement community determines who is behind it, "there will be discussions at the highest levels of the government" over how to respond.

"Obviously interference in the U.S. election process is a very, very serious matter, and I think certainly this government [would] treat it with great seriousness," Brennan added.

Brennan said the nation will now have to look at "what the vulnerabilities are to the [election] system out there," and while some locations may ultimately decide to go with paper ballots, the country should focus on strengthening the security of the relevant cyber systems.

Meanwhile, the FBI Friday said it "takes seriously any allegations of intrusions, and we will continue to hold accountable those who pose a threat in cyberspace."

"The FBI is aware of media reporting on cyber intrusions involving multiple political entities, and is working to determine the accuracy, nature and scope of these matters," the FBI said in a statement. "The cyber threat environment continues to evolve as cyber actors target all sectors and their data."

Not only did the hack into DNC apparently allow the cyber operatives to steal opposition research on Republican nominee Donald Trump, but many suspect it led to the theft of internal messages that show efforts by DNC officials to undermine Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders during the primary season. Those damaging emails have since been released by WikiLeaks, agitating Sanders supporters ahead of the Democratic convention in Philadelphia.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper said yesterday he's "taken aback a bit by ... the hyperventilation over" the hack of the DNC, adding in a sarcastic tone, "I'm shocked somebody did some hacking. That’s never happened before."

The American people "just need to accept" that cyber threats and computer-based attacks are a major long-term challenge facing the United States, he said. Clapper added that Americans should "not be quite so excitable when we have yet another instance of it."

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) -- Chelsea Manning faces charges and possible solitary confinement following her suicide attempt in prison earlier this month, according to the American Civil Liberties Union.

Manning, a transgender woman who formerly went by the name Bradley Manning, used to work as an intelligence analyst in Iraq and was convicted in 2013 in military court of six Espionage Act violations and 14 other offenses. She is currently serving out her 35-year sentence at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth.

Earlier this month, Manning attempted suicide and was subsequently hospitalized.

The ACLU said Thursday that Manning now potentially faces "administrative offenses" for the suicide attempt. If convicted, she could face solitary confinement for the remainder of her sentence, according to the ACLU. The ACLU also included a charge sheet that Manning was allegedly given, notifying her that she was under investigation.

“It is deeply troubling that Chelsea is now being subjected to an investigation and possible punishment for her attempt to take her life. The government has long been aware of Chelsea's distress associated with the denial of medical care related to her gender transition and yet delayed and denied the treatment recognized as necessary,” ACLU Staff Attorney Chase Strangio said in a statement.

“Now, while Chelsea is suffering the darkest depression she has experienced since her arrest, the government is taking actions to punish her for that pain. It is unconscionable and we hope that the investigation is immediately ended and that she is given the health care that she needs to recover.”

The U.S. Army's military relations department told ABC News that it is "looking into" the ACLU's allegations.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


ABC News(WASHINGTON) -- The FBI is investigating a potential hack on at least some of the Clinton campaign's computer systems.

The investigation comes on the heels of two other FBI investigations into hacking of the Democratic National Committee and the Democratic National Convention Committee.

"The FBI is aware of media reporting on cyber intrusions involving multiple political entities, and is working to determine the accuracy, nature and scope of these matters. The cyber threat environment continues to evolve as cyber actors target all sectors and their data," the FBI said in a statement. "The FBI takes seriously any allegations of intrusions, and we will continue to hold accountable those who pose a threat in cyberspace."

In a statement, the Clinton camp said:

"An analytics data program maintained by the DNC, and used by our campaign and a number of other entities, was accessed as part of the DNC hack. Our campaign computer system has been under review by outside cyber security experts. To date, they have found no evidence that our internal systems have been compromised."

The Clinton campaign shares some of its proprietary information with the DNC, and that information was compromised, but campaign computers were not hacked, a campaign official told ABC News.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.





Welcome to Our New Website

Same WJBD but with more content than ever before. We will have more features up and running in no time.


Follow Us At

 
 

This Site logo