Wildcats Effort Just Short In Loss To Wooden Shoes...Prep Basketball Scores(SALEM) - For the Salem Wildcats, it's a matter of finding themselves as a team. In Tuesday's loss to state-ranked Teutopolis, the Cats might have found a recipe that could lead them to a memorable season.
The outsized Wildcats, playing without 6-4 big-man Nick Hempen with a sore back, were looking up into the eyes of 6-6, 260 pound center Kyle Pruemer. The big man was dominated by Nick Conklin and the rest of the Cats defense to the tune of just 2 points.
What the Wooden Shoes didn't get in the paint, they made up for from beyond the three-point line. Hitting on 10-of-40 from downtown, Reed Hardiek's fourth of the game with 2:59 left in the fourth quarter snapped a 52-52 tie and the Shoes would hold on.
Salem had a chance twice in the final minutes but turned the ball over and spoiled their chance to take a lead.
Donte Rush led a trio of Wildcats in double figures with 15 followed by Alex Phillips' 14 and Cole Woodward's 11. Nick Conklin had 9 points and pulled down 6 rebounds.
Guard Derek Smith scored 13 of his game-high 18 points in the first quarter.
Salem is 1-6 and will host Charleston in Apollo play on Friday night.
- Okawville remained undefeated with a 54-46 win over New Athens. Jeremy Weeke had 19 points for the 6-0 Rockets.
In other action:
- Altamont 70 Windsor 39
- Alton Marquette 74 Metro East Lutheran 37
- Belleville East 55 Edwardsville 48
- Belleville West 75 Granite City 55
- Carbondale 65 Graves County, Ky 58
- Carterville 52 Johnston City 35
- Casey Westfield 73 Marshall 37
- Christ Our Rock 50 Ramsey 44
- Cisne 56 Wayne City 39
- Cowden Herrick 52 St Elmo 50
- Dieterichy 65 Brownstown 60
- Effingham St Anthony 53 Beecher City 46
- Flora 58 Olney 28
- Highland 47 Civic Memorial 42
- Lebanon 77 Valmeyer 44
- Litchfield 58 Piasa Southwestern 50
- Mt Vernon 41 Mascoutah 38
- Newton 72 Cumberland 35
- North Clay 54 Clay City 46
- Odin 45 Webber 42
- Pana 53 Shelbyville 38
- Patoka 53 Mulberry Grove 25
- Robinson 69 Red Hill 30
See other LocalSports news:Salem Little League Baseball Kicks Off Season
South Central Softball Faces Robinson Tournament
South Central Baseball Plays in Centralia Tournament
Cards Again Beat Pirates 2-1 in Extras, Win in 11th
Line-Happy Rams Draft Iowa OT Andrew Donnal