Wildcats Effort Just Short In Loss To Wooden Shoes...Prep Basketball Scores
The outsized Wildcats, playing without 6-4 big-man Nick Hempen with a sore back, were looking up into the eyes of 6-6, 260 pound center Kyle Pruemer. The big man was dominated by Nick Conklin and the rest of the Cats defense to the tune of just 2 points.
What the Wooden Shoes didn't get in the paint, they made up for from beyond the three-point line. Hitting on 10-of-40 from downtown, Reed Hardiek's fourth of the game with 2:59 left in the fourth quarter snapped a 52-52 tie and the Shoes would hold on.
Salem had a chance twice in the final minutes but turned the ball over and spoiled their chance to take a lead.
Donte Rush led a trio of Wildcats in double figures with 15 followed by Alex Phillips' 14 and Cole Woodward's 11. Nick Conklin had 9 points and pulled down 6 rebounds.
Guard Derek Smith scored 13 of his game-high 18 points in the first quarter.
Salem is 1-6 and will host Charleston in Apollo play on Friday night.
- Okawville remained undefeated with a 54-46 win over New Athens. Jeremy Weeke had 19 points for the 6-0 Rockets.
In other action:
- Altamont 70 Windsor 39
- Alton Marquette 74 Metro East Lutheran 37
- Belleville East 55 Edwardsville 48
- Belleville West 75 Granite City 55
- Carbondale 65 Graves County, Ky 58
- Carterville 52 Johnston City 35
- Casey Westfield 73 Marshall 37
- Christ Our Rock 50 Ramsey 44
- Cisne 56 Wayne City 39
- Cowden Herrick 52 St Elmo 50
- Dieterichy 65 Brownstown 60
- Effingham St Anthony 53 Beecher City 46
- Flora 58 Olney 28
- Highland 47 Civic Memorial 42
- Lebanon 77 Valmeyer 44
- Litchfield 58 Piasa Southwestern 50
- Mt Vernon 41 Mascoutah 38
- Newton 72 Cumberland 35
- North Clay 54 Clay City 46
- Odin 45 Webber 42
- Pana 53 Shelbyville 38
- Patoka 53 Mulberry Grove 25
- Robinson 69 Red Hill 30
See other LocalSports news:Post 128 State Run Is Over
Tee off at the 36th RLC Foundation Golf Outing Sept. 15
SuperSonics 12U Concludes Successful Season
Post 128 Falls In State Opener, Return To Action Today
Sale loses in White Sox return, Chapman saves Cubs' 3-1 win