Wildcats Dropped By Trojans
The 6th ranked Trojans scored on their first six possessions and held the ball most of the fourth quarter during a running clock in the 2nd half.
Standout junior tailback Josh Cazley had 81 yards on just five carries and Sean Hussey was 3-5 for 110 yards and 2 touchdowns as the Trojans starters worked the first half before sitting the final 24 minutes.
Hussey's first touchdown pass was an 83 yard bomb to Trusten Winnett to move Charlestons lead to 13-0. Hussey then found Ethan Miller later in the quarter to push the advantage to 21-0. Salem punted on their 6 possessions and had just one first down in all of the first quarter as the Trojans defense was stout.
University of Illinois bound Dillon Cazley had a jaw-dropping 29 yard touchdown run to start the 2nd quarter for the Trojans.
Scary scene again for Salem as sophomore quarterback was hit hard and was on the turf for a few minutes before walking off. It's the 2nd straight week he's been injured and he did not return. Dakota Koehnke came in for the rest of the first half before giving way to Seth Crain in the 2nd half.
Salem's lone score came in the fourth quarter as Paul Moskel ran it in from 19 yards out. Moskel finished the game with 70 yards on the ground.
The Cats (0-8) will host Freeburg for Senior Night in Week 9 to wrap up the season.
In other action:
- Rashad Campbell rushed for 187 yards and 3 touchdowns and threw for just under 100 yards and two more scores as Centralia came away with a 43-26 come-from-behind win over Mt Vernon. It's the fifth time this season Centralia has come back to win a game they trailed in the second half. Campbell has 11 touchdowns in the past 2 games.
- Cameron Voss rushed for 247 yards and three touchdowns and added a passing score as well to help the Breese Central Cougars to a 34-6 win over Wesclin.
- Vandalia exacted some revenge on Pana for a heartbreaking playoff last year, and put themselves in position to claim a conference crown this season following their 33-13 win at Pana.
- Sesser Valier's senior Deerek Hood had 4 touchdowns as the Red Devils became playoff eligible with a 46-0 rout of Elverado-Trico.
- Carlyle kept their playoff hopes alive with a 28-27 win on Senior Night over Wood River
See other LocalSports news:High School Prep Basketball Scores 2-7-16
Anderson has 27 in EIU's 78-69 win over SE Missouri
Timberwolves close out Bulls with 12-0 run to win 112-105
Anisimov has goal, 3 assists; Blackhawks beat Stars 5-1
Lehtera, Elliott lead Blues past Wild 4-1