Patoka's Season Ends In Sectionals....Olney Upsets Effingham...Prep ScoresBRIDGEPORT - The Patoka Warriors season came to an end as they fell to Dieterich in the semifinals of the Bridgeport Red Hill Sectional 61-39.
The bigger Maroons hit 3, first-quarter three-pointers and rode their twin towers inside to work a 16-9 advantage after the opening quarter. Johnnie Clift scored six in the first to keep the Warriors close.
Two more trey's in the second quarter by the Maroons helped extend their lead to 34-20 after the first half as the Warriors gave up 11 points off turnovers in the first 16 minutes.
The third quarter was played closer but the Dieterich advantage stretched to 46-30 before hitting all 8 free throws in the fourth quarter to advance to Friday's championship against St Anthony.
Clift and Jared Cain each finished with 14 for Patoka in the loss. The Maroons put 3 in double figures led by the lone senior in the starting lineup Tanner Traub with 16. Alex Bohnhoff had 15 and 6-4 big man Devin Aherin added 14.
Class 1A Sectional Semi's:
- Mendon (Unity) 66 Liberty 59
@ Colfax (Ridgeview)
- Granville (Putnam County) 48 Roanoke (Benson) 41
@ Hanover (River Ridge)
- Lanark (Eastland) 54 Dakota 50
@ Norris City (Omaha-Enfield)
- Cairo 62 Marion (Crab Orchard) 51
- Springfield (Lutheran) 52 White Hall (North Greene) 50
- Mooseheart 65 Chicago (Hope Academy) 59
Class 2A Sectional Semifinals:
@ Chicago (Robeson)
- Hales Fransiscan 68 Chicago Charter 54
- Nashville 71 Harrisburg 49
@ Macon Meridian
- PORTA 61 Macon Meridian 50
@ Bureau Valley
- Newman Central Catholic 54 Seneca 39
@ River Grove
- Providence St Mel 38 Northridge Prep 36
@ Stanford Olympia
- Taylor Ridge Rockridge 76 Monmouth Roseville 51
- Greenville 45 Carlinville 41
- Reed Custer 77 St Joseph Ogden 72 (OT)
SALEM - The Class 3A Regional at Salem saw a bit of an upset as #3 seed Olney won their 20th of the season and avenged an earlier season overtime loss to the 2nd seeded Effingham Hearts by a final of 35-32
Olney was led by Chance Madden with 12 points and 5 rebounds. Alec St Pierre had 9 points and 5 boards with Tate Nohren putting in 9.
Effingham got 10 points and 6 rebounds from Leighton Lark.
The Tigers advance to take on top-seed Centralia on Friday night at 7pm from Salem High School.
Other 3A Regional Semifinals:
- Cahokia 84 Columbia 56
- Althoff 44 Waterloo 37
- Carbondale 75 Massac County 49
- Marion 64 Mt Vernon 55
- Taylorville 81 Mattoon 62
Class 4A Regional Semifinals:
@ Belleville West
- O'Fallon 70 Collinsville 68 (OT)
- Belleville East 58 East St Louis 50
- Quincy 64 Alton 48
See other LocalSports news:South Central Advances, Salem's Season Ends in High School Volleyball
Junior High Sports Round-Up: St. Theresa and Patoka Play For St. Peter Tournament Title
Illini Look to Score More, Return to NCAA Tourney
Moment of Silence for Taveras Before World Series
Rams Make Multiple Moves to Fill Holes