Lady Cats Stay Perfect In Apollo...Prep Basketball Roundup(MATTOON) - Locked in a tight contest on the road at Salem, it looked as though they would run away with things but had to hold on for a 54-40 victory over the Green Wave.
A 10-0 run to start the second half gave Salem a 15 point lead 37-22.
However, the Green Wave showed their resilience as by quarter's end they had cut that deficit back to 5 at 39-35 heading into the final quarter.
"We forced some turnovers there, and finished and that was the key," said head coach Janet Holst following her team's third straight conference win to start the season.
Salem also has forced more than 30 turnovers in each of their conference games as they turned the Green Wave over 31 times.
Morgan Hawkins finished a solid night with 12 points and Annie Tucker had 11. A group of 9 Lady Cats cracked the scoring column. Kaitlyn Booth had 10 points before fouling out for Mattoon (1-2).
Salem kept pace with Effingham (3-0) after their 10 point win 50-40 over Mt Zion. The Lady Braves head to B.E. Gum to take on the Lady Cats Thursday night.
In other action:
- The Sandoval Lady Blackhawks had 3 in double figures as they posted a 57-33 win over Noble. Kristin Perkins had a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Madison Crawford and Bethany Kunick had 13 apiece. Kylie Parson had 8 points and 10 rebounds.
- The South Central Lady Cougars (0-10) fell to Woodlawn 71-41. Coach Gary Kapper said after the game..."We did improve on some things tonight. We have to get better at running our offense and defensively we have to work on getting into better position." SC was not in position to stop the Lady Cardinals Alexxa Capps who finished with 30 points.
- Althoff 46 Collinsville 40
- Breese Central 65 Carlyle 47
- Freeburg 53 Lebanon 51
- Harrisburg 65 Carterville 58 (OT)
- Highland 53 Centralia 46
- Hillsboro 58 Greenville 45
- Murphysboro 51 Marion 42
- Newton 51 Casey Westfield 28
- North Clay 46 Webber Township 42
- Olney 59 Flora 47
- Pana 60 Piasa Southwest 43
- Trenton Wesclin 53 Triad 43
- Teutopolis 42 St Anthony 23
See other LocalSports news:Red Wings Beat Blackhawks 4-1, Even Series
Feldman Pitches Cubs to 8-2 Victory Over Mets
South Central Baseball Team Advances to Sectionals
Sandoval Advances to Regional Final
Lady Cats Finish Regular Season with Win