A Devastating First Inning Drops Lady Cougars....Area Softball ScoresSTEWARDSON - For the South Central Lady Cougars, the start was a bad one as they gave up 11 runs in the first inning in falling on the road at Stewardson-Strasburg/Windsor Coop 19-4.
South Central jumped out to a 1-0 lead after their first at-bat, however after the first inning was over, so was the game. The hosts would add a single run in the second inning, five more in the third and a pair in the fourth to complete their scoring as they wrapped out 13 hits to the Lady Cougars 7.
The Lady Cougars added 3 runs in the fourth inning but it wasn't near enough.
At the plate, Jayla Conley was 2-2 with a pair of RBI, Abby King added an RBI double. King took the loss on the mound going just 3 innings as the sophomore struggled giving up 17 runs, 11 earned as her defense committed 3 errors behind her. Kanady Grzegorek worked the final inning allowing 2 hits and 2 runs, only 1 earned.
Alannah Sigrist was 3-3 with a double and 2 singles and a run scored. Hannah Rubin added a single and run, Bailey Ritter and Sidney Wilkins also scored runs.
South Central fell to 1-10 overall and 0-6 in the National Trail Conference as they travel to the Robinson Tournament this weekend.
The Lady Cougars open with Neoga at 8:30 Saturday morning followed by a game at 10:30 with the JV from Carbondale. Pool play will finish up around 1:30 when the Lady Cougars play the hosts. the championship and trophy games will be played at 3pm.
In other action:
- Odin dropped their game to Ramsey 8-6. Bailey Phipps went 3-3 in the loss while Kameron Kelly, Hayley Laffoon, Kennedy Laffoon and Karissa Ryan all added a hit apiece.
- Jessica Feig tossed a three-hitter in Centralia's 4-0 win over Carlyle. The Annies improved to 10-2 on the season.
- Despite out hitting Murphysboro 10-7, Mt Vernon fell to the Red Devils 7-5.
- Mater Dei scored in five of their six at-bats and worked out of a two-on, nobody out jam in the top of the 7th inning to nip Wesclin 11-9 in Breese.
- Maci Ingram struck out 17 and allowed just one hit in top-ranked Nashville's (25-1) 6-0 win over Belleville West.
See other LocalSports news:HS BB Wrap-Up: Centralia, South Central, and Salem Post Wins
Kaskaskia Drops Men's Women's Double Header
Odin and Central City Boys Headed to State Tournament
Centralia Tigerettes Settle For Fourth in State
Missouri State Snaps 7-Game Skid; Beats Southern Illinois 52-46