A Devastating First Inning Drops Lady Cougars....Area Softball Scores
South Central jumped out to a 1-0 lead after their first at-bat, however after the first inning was over, so was the game. The hosts would add a single run in the second inning, five more in the third and a pair in the fourth to complete their scoring as they wrapped out 13 hits to the Lady Cougars 7.
The Lady Cougars added 3 runs in the fourth inning but it wasn't near enough.
At the plate, Jayla Conley was 2-2 with a pair of RBI, Abby King added an RBI double. King took the loss on the mound going just 3 innings as the sophomore struggled giving up 17 runs, 11 earned as her defense committed 3 errors behind her. Kanady Grzegorek worked the final inning allowing 2 hits and 2 runs, only 1 earned.
Alannah Sigrist was 3-3 with a double and 2 singles and a run scored. Hannah Rubin added a single and run, Bailey Ritter and Sidney Wilkins also scored runs.
South Central fell to 1-10 overall and 0-6 in the National Trail Conference as they travel to the Robinson Tournament this weekend.
The Lady Cougars open with Neoga at 8:30 Saturday morning followed by a game at 10:30 with the JV from Carbondale. Pool play will finish up around 1:30 when the Lady Cougars play the hosts. the championship and trophy games will be played at 3pm.
In other action:
- Odin dropped their game to Ramsey 8-6. Bailey Phipps went 3-3 in the loss while Kameron Kelly, Hayley Laffoon, Kennedy Laffoon and Karissa Ryan all added a hit apiece.
- Jessica Feig tossed a three-hitter in Centralia's 4-0 win over Carlyle. The Annies improved to 10-2 on the season.
- Despite out hitting Murphysboro 10-7, Mt Vernon fell to the Red Devils 7-5.
- Mater Dei scored in five of their six at-bats and worked out of a two-on, nobody out jam in the top of the 7th inning to nip Wesclin 11-9 in Breese.
- Maci Ingram struck out 17 and allowed just one hit in top-ranked Nashville's (25-1) 6-0 win over Belleville West.
See other LocalSports news:KC Names Male & Female Athletes of the Year
Lady Cats Host SC Today, Mt Zion Tomorrow....Softball Scores
Wildcats Fall, Orphans Win in Prep Tennis
Salem Rec Basketball B League Tournament Begins
No. 3 seed Softball team headed to postseason tomorrow