WJBD Radio


Now Playing

Local News

WJBD - Local News - Patoka Home Damaged By Fire

Patoka Home Damaged By Fire

By Bruce Kropp, WJBD News

A home just east of Patoka was damaged by an early Friday evening fire.  

Patoka Fire Chief Blake Hyde says the fire was at a home occupied by Crystal Mann, her two children and David Powers of 1356 Deer Creek Road.  

It began near a flu pipe from a wood burning stove where the pipe went through the ceiling into the attic.  Part of the ceiling structure and the roof joists caught fire.  There was extensive damage to the electrical system of the home because the fire was close to the electrical box.  There was also smoke damage throughout the home.  

Hyde says Powers found the fire early and did a good job keeping the fire from spreading by using a fire extinguisher and by pouring water on the fire before firemen arrived.  Sandoval Firemen were called for mutual aide assistance before the extent of the fire was known.  He reports less than 1,000 gallons of water was used to extinguish the blaze.   

The State Fire Marshall's Office has been called to try and further pinpoint the cause of the fire.  The home is owned by Alice Shumaker of Clinton.   The fire call came in at 4:50 Friday afternoon, with firemen on the scene for about two hours.   

See other LocalNews news:

Stolen Jeep In Centralia Hits Bicyclist and Parked Car Before Being Abandoned
Salem Police Solve Roberts Park Playground Equipment Fire
Marion County and State Deer Harvest Numbers Up for 1st Shotgun Season
Marion County Circuit Clerk and 5 More County Board Candidates File Election Petitions
Rauner Pardons Man Found Innocent of 1999 Attack

Loyal Listener Club

Club Login

Follow Us At

This Site logo