WJBD Radio

Images

Now Playing

Local News

WJBD - Local News - County Materials Fire Causes $50,000 in Damage Friday

County Materials Fire Causes $50,000 in Damage Friday

By Bruce Kropp, WJBD News

Salem Fire Chief Roger Mann estimates damage at $40,000 to $50,000 to a building at County Materials on West Commercial Street late Friday morning.  Mann reports the fire started in the ceiling of a 20 by 30 foot building housing a steam generator and a break room. 

"When we arrived on scene, we had heavy smoke coming from the building.  It was a block building with a thrust roof on it with siding on top.  The fire was in the area of the steam generator.  We were able to knock it down and basically what it did was burn the trusts off the roof.  The metal part of the roof was sagging down.  It did not collapse on the equipment inside", said Mann.

However, there was damage to the electrical wiring and to the steam generator used in the pouring of concrete forms.  Mann says not having the generator will cause a major inconvenience to the business until repairs can be made.  The cause of the fire has not been determined.  Odin Firemen responded with automatic mutual aide.  

See other LocalNews news:

Rauner Ethics Plan Targets Lobbyists, Lawmakers
Suspect in Meat-Tampering Case Again Denied Bond
Fairfield Ex-Teacher Admits Misconduct Involving Girls
Odin School Board Subcommittee Meeting Comes to Abrupt End
Michigan Man Arrested in Salem on Firearms Charge




This Site logo