Health & Fitness News
Fla. Boy Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba
(MIAMI) --A 12-year-old boy with a brain eating amoeba has died.
Zachary Reyna died Saturday afternoon, CNN reports. His organs will be donated.
Reyna allegedly contracted the deadly parasite from kneeboarding in a water filled ditch in Florida on Aug. 3.
The seventh grader then underwent brain surgery at the Miami Children's Hospital.
The rare amoeba is called Naegleria fowleri, found in hot springs and warm freshwater, mostly in the Southeast of the US.
The parasite enters the body through the nose, traveling to the brain, according to CNN.
Symptoms can appear within a week of infection. They include headache, fever, and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
See other Health news:Experimental Ebola Drug's Role in Americans' Recoveries Remains Unclear
Gymnastics Skills Help Colorado Man Survive 100-Foot Plunge
How Ebola Survivors Have Fought the Stigma
Woman Credits Hypnosis for 140-Pound Weight Loss
Americans with Ebola Released from Atlanta Hospital