Health & Fitness News
Boy, 12, Dies from Brain-Eating Amoeba
(MIAMI) -- A 12-year-old boy who was hospitalized with a brain eating amoeba has died.
Zachary Reyna died Saturday afternoon, CNN reports. His organs will be donated.
Reyna allegedly contracted the deadly parasite from kneeboarding in a water filled ditch in Florida on Aug. 3.
The seventh grader then underwent brain surgery at the Miami Children's Hospital.
The rare amoeba is called Naegleria fowleri. It is found in hot springs and warm freshwater, mostly in the Southeast of the US.
The parasite enters the body through the nose, traveling to the brain, according to CNN.
Symptoms can appear within a week of infection. They include headache, fever, and nausea, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Copyright 2013 ABC News Radio
See other Health news:Kids Act Out More When They Bite Their Food Instead of Chew It
Does Pot Smoking Ruin Your Heart?
Man Aims to Change Cancer Experience for Young Adults
Chef Symon’s Seven Tips to Help You Start Gardening this Earth Day
Dad Records Messages for Kids to Be Played After He Dies